Author Topic: Newcastle Evening Chronicle death notice look up please  (Read 3313 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Evening Chronicle death notice look up please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 August 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking for her on the 1939 register

I see from the index on Scotlands People that Ida was born in 1879.

On the free index to the 1939 register there is an Ida Brown living in Newcastle upon Tyne, birth year 1879. A bit of fiddling with the search shows that she stated that she was a widow.

You would have to get some credits for FindMyPast to see the full entry as we aren't allowed to do look-ups. The entry would show her full date of birth which you could check against her birth date from her birth certificate (which you've presumably got?).

If you have access to Ancestry you can easily find an Ida Frances Brown on Electoral Registers in Newcastle upon Tyne. In 1945 her address is 5 Argyle Street. If you search Ida Brown born 1879 address 5 Argyle Street in the 1939 register you get the same person as I mentioned above.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 August 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your interest. Am coming back to this search from a break of a few years, as we got nowhere at that time. And over the years more and more is added to the internet.

Yes, the other person is, as you can see, looking for information on the son of Ida, her father, we are in touch with her. I have always been looking for the mother after 1910-1911. Her daughter was my husband's mother and we knew her, but she knew nothing of her mother, unfortunately.

Am not currently a member of Ancestry, was a few years ago in fact for a number of years. Never seemed to help on this person at that time.

If the 39 Register is our lady, yes she would have been a widow and at least we needn't look for a second marriage.

Just yesterday found that Ida Brown was awarded a medal from WW1 as a VAD and am wondering if any records here would give me further information, eg address, next of kin?? Meant to print this out but was interrupted, now can't find it again! Sorry to sound a bit silly, but I'm getting on you know!!

Am getting the death certificate and will see if it leads us anywhere.

Thanks so much for your interest and help.
Pearce, Davies, Mulhall, Jesse, Savage.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 August 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
If the 39 Register is our lady, yes she would have been a widow and at least we needn't look for a second marriage.

As I said, you can double-check the date of birth on the 1939 register against the date of birth on Ida's birth certificate. Have you done this?

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 August 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Have been searching through the information we put to one side a few years ago (!) and found that we never did get a copy of Ida Frances Davidson's birth certificate, I suppose we relied on the census returns  - realise now not such a good idea!

Have just bought some credits with Scotlands People and already received a downloaded copy of her birth registration:-  it confirms she was born on 16 October 1879.  So this tallies with the 1939 Register. 
And have just downloaded her registration from the '39 Register. It shows she is living in 5 Argyle Street with an unknown lady. Nice to see the house marked on the town map, it shows she didnt go far from her old marital home.

Have also just got a download from the National Archives of a VAD medal record which could be her, although it doesn't indicate a geographical location.

Will now get the death certificate previously mentioned and see what info it gives.

Thank you very much for all the help you have given - I'll let you know how I get on!
kind regards

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 August 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
It's looking good so far  :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 August 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
I am really pleased that things are matching up

It shows she is living in 5 Argyle Street with an unknown lady.
Are you sure they are in the same household  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 August 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
I am really pleased that things are matching up

It shows she is living in 5 Argyle Street with an unknown lady.
Are you sure they are in the same household  ;)

On the free search Ida's name comes up by itself. As Rosie suggests you need to look at this again. There might have been two separate households in the one dwelling house. If they are separate households they will have separate schedule numbers.

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 August 17 12:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, you're right, just looked at it again :

Ida Brown is a separate schedule number to the other person at the same address, occupation described as Unpaid Domestic Duties.  When I look at other people with the same occupation description, they seem to be wives.....

The only other person at 5 Argyle Street is a much younger woman but with a different surname, born in 1906.   - I wonder???  She has a retail type occupation.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 August 17 12:58 BST (UK) »

The only other person at 5 Argyle Street is a much younger woman but with a different surname, born in 1906.   - I wonder???  She has a retail type occupation.

Have you got a query on the other person  :-\

You are allowed to post details of the 1939 as you started the post.  You are not allowed to ask for details on the 1939 and we would not be able to give them to you.  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk