Author Topic: John Shrimpton Of Easton  (Read 768 times)

Offline BOND007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Shrimpton Of Easton
« on: Thursday 17 August 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
I've been researching my Aunt's family tree and have now come to a dead end. John Shrimpton married Ann Downs at Easton on the 6th June 1785 and their son, John, was baptized at Easton on the 6th June 1790. The only other record I can find is a burial record for a John Shrimpton at Easton in 1828 with a birth date of 1752. Can anyone help please?

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Shrimpton Of Easton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

There is a will at Hampshire Record Office dated 1828 for a John Shrimpton yeoman of St John Winchester.  Is this him?

It might be worth acquiring a copy to see if there are any clues as to his origin.  I can't find any baptisms in Hampshire at the moment that might fit the dates you have given.

Nell

Edit: Is your John a butcher?  Found a reference to him in 1821 and holding the lease of a property in Winchester.
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BOND007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Shrimpton Of Easton
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 August 17 06:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, I think that's him. I've had a look at the records held at Winchester and there is also a will for James Shrimpton, a butcher of Easton, who died in 1782 and could possibly be his father. I need both wills I think. I have found a burial record giving a birth date of about 1722 but again I can find no baptism record. Church records for Easton, other than burials, don't appear to be available so a visit to the records office may be needed! Thanks once again for your help I have only just rediscovered this site and I have made some amazing discoveries through it.