Author Topic: Two Photographs Nain Bagillt - Unsure of dates  (Read 733 times)

Offline c5el

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two Photographs Nain Bagillt - Unsure of dates
« on: Thursday 17 August 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
I have two photos that I'm unsure when they were taken. If I knew approx. when they were taken I could more accurately link them to a person (I don't know if it's the mother, daughter etc).

I'll call the picture of the woman on her own 'Picture 1' and the couple 'Picture 2'

Note for Picture 1: it's of a Welsh woman (as you may guess from the inscription) so I don't know if that affects dating it via the fashion, if fashions were different in Wales?? ???

If anyone can identify other details from both Picture 1 and 2 E.G social class, marriage status, fashions, let me know   :)

Thanks ;D

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Two Photographs Nain Bagillt - Unsure of dates
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 17 19:52 BST (UK) »

"Charles Duval set up his own business as a photographer in 1884, trading under his own name from 77 Oldham Street in Manchester. There were branches at 243 Cheetham Hill Road in Manchester and 158 Chapel Street in Salford, but these seem to have been short-lived. By 1886 the firm had moved to 107 Oldham Street, which remained the business address for the rest of its existence until 1912."

Source: http://charlesduval.org/charles_du_val
where you may be able to deduce a smaller date range or get further details

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 August 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
The first one looks to be 1870s and the second one 1880s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 August 17 00:51 BST (UK) »
Couple of cleanups. Both are lovely photos - pity the one of the couple is so faded. Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline c5el

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot for the restorations and the info ;D based on the dates given and the people I thought could be in Photo 1 and 2 they all should be in their early to mid twenties, which seems likely.