Author Topic: Thompson/Pollock's of Paisley  (Read 2192 times)

Offline c5el

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thompson/Pollock's of Paisley
« on: Thursday 17 August 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling to find Scottish records for my ancestors. I have a marriage record from 1846 in Birmingham which states they are:

Janet Thompson (born abt 1822, Paisley), daughter of James Thompson, Woollen Manufacturer

John Pollock (full age in 1846), son of William Pollock, Yarn Merchant

John seems to have died/disappeared before the 1861 census so I don't have a place of birth or approx age for him.

Does anyone know anything about the families in Paisley or if John Pollock might have been from somewhere else?

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson/Pollock's of Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
Is the family in Pottersbury, Northhampton in 1851 with children named Margaret and Sarah?

If this is correct, John's place of birth is entered as Lanarkshire, Scotland age 29yrs

Offline c5el

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 August 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
I think I remember that record but I'm not sure if it's a redherring, as by 1851 there should be a Robert and Susan Pollock, BUT Pottersbury is the registered district their child Agnes Marion was later born in 1852, so I can't decide. ???

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 17 22:43 BST (UK) »
Susan was born 1850 but died 1853 aged 2yrs.  Robert was born 1846.  Can't see anything for them in 1851
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
If you look closely at the 1861 census, the youngest child named Charles was just 2 yrs old and Janet was already a widow.
The window for John's death could not be more than 2-3yrs before this.

The 1851 census will be correct but I do not know why son Robert is not on the census.

Have you seen his marriage cert?
He and his sister Margaret married in St Pancras  on the same day.
 Christmas day 1868 and their spouses were also the Jefcoate siblings.
Sister Agnes Pollock was the witness for Margaret.

EDIT
The address on the 1846 Pollock/Thompson marriage plus the witness named Margaret Pollock is revealing.
Look at the address.

1851:
This is also Smallbrook Place   
At a guess, this is John's married brother and his unmarried sister.

Robt Pollack   32 B Scotland
Susan Pollack   33  wife B Scotland
Robt Pollack   9
John Pollack   7
Isabella Pollack   1 Mo
Margaret Pollack   23 Sister B Scotland

Margaret Pollock married Alfred Westwood in 1852

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 00:45 BST (UK) »
Did they belong to this family?

"Busby  cotton  mill  was  founded  on  the  White Cart  Water  in  Mearns  Parish  in
December 1780. It replaced lint and meal mills on the site, which was traditionally
known  as  Newmill,  a  name  which  remained  in  use  until  about  1800.  It  was 
established  by  Glasgow  merchant  William  Ferguson  who  had  a  textile  shop  in 
Gallowgate.
In March 1783 Busby was advertised in the Glasgow Press . Three months
later  Dove cothall  was  also  put  on  the  market.  By  this  time  the  mills  had  been 
spinning for at least a year. Both were purchased  by  Richard  Thomson, a Glasgow
merchant,
who was soon residing in the mansion house beside Dovecothall mill.
Busby  and  Dovecothall  are  less  than  five miles  apart  and  joint  ownership  and 
management  were  a  practical  proposition.  Three  years  later  Thomson  sold  Busby 
mill to Robert Twyford, a Manchester merchant. By 1787 Twyford had also acquired
Dovecothall mill"

http://rlhf.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2.3-Dovecothall-and-Busby-Mills-Nisbet.pdf

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
Is there a connection to this Renfrewshire Robert Pollock?

"There had been hunger just after 1740 when harvests failed, but
Paisley  was  full  of  optimism  in  1745.  Kerr  and Pollock were  acquiring  a  large  new 
bleaching-field  over  in  Neilston  Parish.  It  stretched  from  the  Kirkton  Burn  to  the 
Levern  Water  along  what  is  now  called  Cross  Arthurlie.

http://rlhf.info/wp-content/uploads/14.2-St-Mirren-Burn-Clark.pdf
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline c5el

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 August 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
anne_p I hadn't thought of looking for the siblings on the marriage certificate, maybe now I can find a baptism record if I look for a John, Robert and Margaret Pollock with the same parents.

and Rena I'm not sure if they are related to those families, would yarn merchants and woollen manufacturers be affluent? I can't tell by woollen manufacturer if it means he just operates the machine or if he owns a manufacturing company.

Maybe I should try finding some probate records for the siblings and others, if they had a lot of assets it could indicate more?

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 August 17 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
anne_p I hadn't thought of looking for the siblings on the marriage certificate, maybe now I can find a baptism record if I look for a John, Robert and Margaret Pollock with the same parents.

and Rena I'm not sure if they are related to those families, would yarn merchants and woollen manufacturers be affluent? I can't tell by woollen manufacturer if it means he just operates the machine or if he owns a manufacturing company.

Maybe I should try finding some probate records for the siblings and others, if they had a lot of assets it could indicate more?

Exceedingly well off families - if you do more surfing you'll see the ones I illustrated owned houses, whereas ordinary mortals rented a house or just one room and maybe two rooms as their family home.

When a family owned a successful company they needed to send their representatives further afield to open up more trade.  This could be the case with the specific ancestors you're currently trying to discover more information about.