Author Topic: Regiment ID please  (Read 2613 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Regiment ID please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 August 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry Alan O, not entirely the case.  See for example
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 August 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Correct.  When the RGA were in UK and in Garrison duties aboard they fired the largest guns from fixed battery locations.  During WW1 they re-roled to a field role to deploy the largest guns to the front.  Therefore when in a field role the need lots of horses to move the guns and wore bandoliers.  Hence the bandoliers in your photo.

if you had the full service history of the man then you might be better informed as to which role he was in but I was under the impression that he was not in a deployable unit but based in the UK.  perhaps the original poster can help narrow down his service history.

As the photo is by  London, rather than a Scottish photographer then it may be another set of gunners rather than the name suggested.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_%26_Fry

Offline Green Dragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 August 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, do you have any idea of his age when the photograph was taken?

There is a medal index card for a Ernest C Inman with the number 344242, also on the award roll it states:
         Sub Unit: Forth. (RGA - (TF))
 Previous Units:    R.G.A. (T.F) 344242, Gunner.

Could this be your man?

Frank.

ADDED: I have to pop out but I'm sure someone else will be along to add to your post.

Thanks Frank   not sure why he would be in a  Scottish regiment     but  he was  Ernest Charles   Inman  .
All I know is he was born in Yorkshire in 1887  and died  in Lichfield Staffordshire  in 1929.

Offline Green Dragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 August 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
I always assumed he was in France at one time .  I once saw a  book  of trench art   sketches  he had  drawn   comparing life as it would be at home  a table  full of food , along side  a sketch of reality  a hut  with virtually nothing .
Just found  this  confirms he was a gunner

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 August 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
Bandoliers - noted.  My post identified the medal card holder as a member of the Forth RGA, I didn't link it to the photograph.

There is a medal card also for an 173776 Driver Ernest Inman Royal Field Artillery which may be your man, he is the only RFA Inman to turn up.  No service record survives so no family info to positively identify him.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Green Dragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 August 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
I visited my Aunt today   to see if she could find a photo  to compare with the  large photo    and she produced a letter    from   Gnr Inman    122735      249 Siege Battery   RGA   B.E.F  France.   It's dated  3 July  1917.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 August 17 08:54 BST (UK) »

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 August 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
Alan o covers it well.  The war diary for the period March 1917 to January 1918 is here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/a2e162e53c834a37b7e000ad598eff3b
downloadable for £3.50**

Curiously, while not finding service records is quite usual (70% or so destroyed in the second war), I would expect to find a medal card, no such luck at first trawl.

MaxD

**Just learned from following alan o's guidance that the months of Jun, Jul and Aug are missing from the diary as are the same months from the HAG (Heavy Artillery Group) they were in at the time.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 August 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Alan o

I wonder if you would care to review a tentative  "joining of the dots".  I'd value your thoughts

The discussion on the GWF notes that a 344240 Gnr Temperton of 249 SB was killed in Jul 1917.  In the Register of Soldiers' Effects. in Soldiers Died in the Great War and in the CWGC details his unit is given as 249 SB.  In the RGA medal roll however, he appears in the Forth RGA (TF) list on the page before 344242 EC Inman - where we started this search.

Thus we have two men who appear to have served in both units which may suggest a draft from one to the other.  It would be instructive to trawl around for more but given that EC Inman appears in the medal entries just the once and that no Inman entry appears for the number he gives in 1917 (perhaps post renumbering?), I would venture to suggest that the medal card for 344242 is our man.  Still no detailed record of course so difficult to prove/disprove but worth a punt??

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk