Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #6 Lulu  (Read 7450 times)

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #6 Lulu
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 August 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
I confess that when she said something like "It makes me so angry", I wanted the historian to say, "Does it make you want to shout?"

;D ;D ;D
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 August 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
Anent the Springburn locomotive works, the fact that tradesmen were largely Protestant was due to apprentices being taken in "by the hand!" i.e, their fathers/brothers were tradesmen there before them. This was general in the railway workshops until recent times. 

Skoosh.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA-LULU
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 20 August 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
It's repeated on Wednesday at 23:45 (25 mins later in Northern Ireland).

Thanks KG, Looking forward to it!

The "mixed" relationship of Hugh and Helen would have been truly shocking to both Catholic and Protestant families , friends & neighbours in 1920s Glasgow. With his poor work record,  scar and offending/ prison time, Hugh was hardly an ideal catch.

Oh yes Looby......A crime worse than murder that would have been so I guess it's a true saying, 'Love conquers all'  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 August 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
In north Lancashire people used to say "She/he turned, you know" when one partner in a mixed Protestant/Roman Catholic marriage changed to the other's Church.  Usually it would be the Catholic partner's Church which would perform the marriage ceremony, the Protestant partner having had to sign a document promising not to marry again in a Protestant church or have another civil ceremony.  He/she would also have to promise to bring up any children as Catholic. To avoid this people would get married in a registry office, but of course this would not be recognised by the RC Church. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 August 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Glasgow expression. "He/she jumped the dyke!"  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 21 August 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
Glasgow expression. "He/she jumped the dyke!"  ;D

Skoosh.

Possibly from the Dutch?
In English we say "jumped out of the frying-pan into the fire".
The Dutch equivalent is "to jump over the dyke into the sea"! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 21 August 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
  He/she would also have to promise to bring up any children as Catholic. To avoid this people would get married in a registry office, but of course this would not be recognised by the RC Church.

My husband had to do this when we got married, only 5 years ago! (mixed marriage lol)

I enjoyed this episode actually even though I'm not a fan of lulu normally. I'll even forgive her tears as it was actually about her mother - not a distant ancestor who she had never heard of until 3 hours ago.

Lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.