Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #6 Lulu  (Read 7417 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA-LULU
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 August 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I thought this was goi g to be good but no it got very boring. Going over stuff that it appears the family knew anyway. The only bit that really got my attention was the connection to the Orange Order with GGrandmother being top dog.

That got me thinking, was she the one who paid up all the fines for her SiL on the QT. Wouldn't want the stigma of that going about. Bad enough that he was catholic without being a bad un as well.

But all in all not very good compared with earlier ones.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 August 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed Lulu's family story.
The "mixed" relationship of Hugh and Helen would have been truly shocking to both Catholic and Protestant families , friends & neighbours in 1920s Glasgow. With his poor work record,  scar and offending/ prison time, Hugh was hardly an ideal catch.
I felt Lulu was genuinely moved and appalled by some of the information she gleaned. When she broke down in the Mitchell Library after reading out comments about her mother in the register of "fostered" children , I felt for her. 
Wonder where Helen had disappeared to? Suppose that will never be known  :-\ :'(

Looby  :)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 August 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
My they dragged out that story ! could have condensed it into 20 minutes , everything just seemed to go slow, not one i would watch again  :)
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #6 Lulu
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 August 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed this episode a lot. I particularly liked the Register of foster care.
What I found hard to believe was her grandfathers work history.
He seemed to get re employed by same firm over and over again, despite his prison history.

I could understand the Protestant versus Poor Catholic, its no wonder both families were against such a marriage. Surprised at the Women having their own Orange Lodge
When Lulus grandmother disappeared, I think she was in a Psychiatric Hospital.
She may have had a breakdown. The grandmother was caught in a very tough situation.
Large family of young children and a husband that was in & out of prison and work.
JFCH

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 August 17 09:28 BST (UK) »
I liked it.
I thought that although the family knew something of the story they didn't know the reasons and the revelations were heart breaking. The family probably wouldn't have accessed the Foster Care Register and read those remarks - it was the particular terminology that brought the tears.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 19 August 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
it was just an OK one for me...  didnt stretch out far enough.. 2 gens not sufficient ... cos I am greedy.

xin

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 August 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
I thought this was quite a good one.... it pointed up how often half-known "facts" build up in a family history. I also found the Orange Marches thing interesting in general, as in Lancashire an ancestor of mine was probably one who marched, and another one may well have been on the other side!
This series does seem to have been better than the preceding one.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 20 August 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
I've just watched it on catch up and also really enjoyed it.

I liked the going into detail about Hugh and Helen's life together. Like some other people, I also wondered if Helen had a breakdown, perhaps severe Post Natal Depression or was ill following complications from childbirth. It would certainly explain why only the baby had been taken away from her siblings.

It was quite amazing that, when she came out of Central Station, nobody shouted out "Awright, Lulu, hen! Gonnae gie's a song?" And she ditched the tinted reading glasses after realising there was no sun to block out in Glasgow.

Sarah
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 20 August 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
I confess that when she said something like "It makes me so angry", I wanted the historian to say, "Does it make you want to shout?"
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE