Author Topic: suggestion needed for free interactive form for 16 generations  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Patgale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
suggestion needed for free interactive form for 16 generations
« on: Thursday 17 August 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
We have done much research but would like a form for 16 generations that we can type, save, print and possibly send to family members.  We will be doing much more research in the very near future.  patgale

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Re: suggestion needed for free interactive form for 16 generations
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 17 00:52 BST (UK) »
That will be a massive form for 16 generations.  Starting from a single individual and if fully complete with parents for each person it would contain over 65,000 people.

I would look at putting the tree on line somewhere like MyHeritage where you can invite and control who can look at it.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patgale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
Then is there a free interactive form that can be used?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 August 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Personally, I use RootsMagic to store my trees.
It includes "RootsMagic-to-go" which enables you to create a copy of your tree on a USB stick.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
That will be a massive form for 16 generations ...

Printed out in a readable font it would be several hundred metres long or wide  :o  or several hundred pages.

I would suggest something like Tribal Pages if you want an interactive form which others can add information to. Assuming the other family members have internet access of course.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
If you really, really want to use forms, you might want to look at:
1.  Google Forms (https://docs.google.com/forms). Click on the 'hamburger' top-left to get help and information. I've never used Google forms but it looks as if it's a kind of survey tool. You can view/download the responses and export them to something like Excel.
2. SurveyMonkey does the same kind of thing. It's free with limitations but you can also pay ($30) for a month if you need more respondents, questions or easy export to other Excel or other software.
3. Google Docs/Sheets. These are not interactive but multiple people can edit them. You could set up tables where the fields are self-explanatory. People can see who's already been added (and comment on these) and add new people.

Whatever 'input format' you use I suggest you think in advance how you're going to use the results. If you use some kind of family tree software (on- or offline) these often have import formats. I suggest you make sure that you will be able to convert the 'input' (probably after exporting this to something like Excel) to the 'input format' that your family tree software requires.

Personally, I would consider putting the tree up online (for example Ancestry.com) and sharing it with the people you want to contribute to it.

Mike

Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
I have 16 generations in my tree - that takes me back to the mid 16th Century.

Using RootsMagic to generate a wallchart, I would need 39 pages ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)