Author Topic: Lionel Hawkshaw  (Read 899 times)

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lionel Hawkshaw
« on: Friday 18 August 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find out where my Uncle Lionel Hawkshaw died and is buried. All I know is that my Aunt died in 1968 and they lived in Belfast at that time, they did not have any children.

Lionel was born in Leeds West Yorkshire in 1914 and he married my Aunt Evelyn in Leeds in 1939. I do not know when they moved to Northern Ireland, but my Aunt died there in 1968 and I am almost sure he would have stayed in Ireland, he did not have family here, the link was my Aunt and my mother were sisters.

I remember when my Aunt died, she was only 56years and at that time I was not interested in family history and obviously by now the members of my family who possibly could have known what happened to Lionel are no longer here.

I would be grateful for any help. I have done the usual on line searches but could not find anything.

Brenda
Tebbs... Leicester, Gainsborough, Lincoln, Hunslet,Harehills, Leeds
Daniel....Hyde Park Leeds, Paddington London
Russell...Harehills, Leeds
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)
Coop..Leicester, Birmingham
Payne..Leicester, Blackpool

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lionel Hawkshaw
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 17 06:49 BST (UK) »
PRONI (the public record office) has this probate abstract:

Hawkshaw, Evelyn May of 1 Runnymede Drive Belfast died 13 September 1968 at Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast Administration Belfast 12 November to Lionel Christopher Hawkshaw cabinetmaker the husband. Effects £2300 2s.

So Evelyn died intestate. The full probate file should be in PRONI (in paper format). If Lionel left a will, it won’t be available on-line as probate records after 1968 are not on-line yet. You would either need to go to PRONI in person and search the will calendars, or pay them to do it for you.

If Lionel died in Northern Ireland his death will have been registered with GRONI. However deaths within the past 50 years are not available on-line, save at GRONI or PRONI’s offices. So you would need to go in person and search for it. If you can’t do that, contact GRONI and ask them to search for you. (There may be a search fee).
Elwyn

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help and sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on holiday.

Such a pity the Irish records are not on line, I will email for more information regarding a search.

Thank you again,

Brenda
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 August 17 00:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help and sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on holiday.

Such a pity the Irish records are not on line, I will email for more information regarding a search.

Thank you again,

Brenda

The more recent records are not openly on-line for identity theft reasons. For births under 100 years, marriages under 75 and deaths under 50, you need to contact GRONI, unless you can call in person.
Elwyn

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 August 17 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, My brother seems to think that Lionel moved to Southern Ireland after my Aunts death, which is one of the reasons I would have liked to have found out which of us is right!

I am in the UK, my Aunt was born here as was Lionel, not sure when they moved to Belfast, sometime in the 1940's  think, I remember going to see them when I was about 14, it rained the whole tine and the streets were flooded!.

Brenda
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 August 17 07:45 BST (UK) »
Deaths, post 1968, in the Republic of Ireland aren’t on-line either. You need to contact GRO there for those. Contact details here:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply-for-Certificates.aspx

We do indeed get a lot of rain in Ireland. It's why it's so green.
Elwyn

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 August 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks again :)

Brenda
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)