Author Topic: Occupation - New South Wales, Australia, Convict Indents, Bound Indentures 1829  (Read 1120 times)

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
In the New South Wales, Australia, Convict Indents, Bound Indentures 1829 the person I'm researching has his occupation recorded as "ploughman milks".  Does anyone know what the "milks" part of this occupation is referring to?

I'd appreciate any assistance anyone can give.

Regards
Sharon

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation - New South Wales, Australia, Convict Indents, Bound Indentures 1829
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 17 02:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Without looking at the actual document, I wonder if there's a straight forward meaning there .... the person of interest is a ploughman who has the additional skill to (hand) milk the cow/s that are part of the Master's herd.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation - New South Wales, Australia, Convict Indents, Bound Indentures 1829
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have now looked at several of the 1829 Bound Indents.    :)   Under the heading 'Trade or calling' I can see various entries for
ploughman and shears 
Ploughman shears and soldier
Ploughman and shepherd
Ploughs & shears
Ploughman and labourer
Pedlar and Ploughman

To me, these are listed on these records so that when the Assignments are being considered, the administrative staff can assist with preliminary cross matching to the Masters' needs.   Fresh milk would be available from the house cow found at each farm, so a convict who could plough a paddock and also milk the house cow would be preferable.  :)  (two for one so to write !)

ADD
http://www.tocal.com/homestead/vandv/
scroll through to John KIDD, his trade or calling was ploughman & milks  :)   The website acknowledges the researcher's efforts in accessing the original documents.  :)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 August 17 04:09 BST (UK) »
It might be worth looking at the original if available in order to clarify.

It is possibly a misinterpretation.

It does seem to be an odd thing to write - "ploughman and milkman" would make more sense, though JM's list shows "ploughman and shears" which doesn't sound quite right either. Maybe it was a turn of phrase used by person who wrote the original list?  :-\

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 17 04:37 BST (UK) »
two examples  :D - these are from the 1830 Lord Melville convict indents

Ploughman Milks (etc)
Ploughs ... Milks (etc)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 04:39 BST (UK) »
here's second one (I had attached, no idea why it failed) but I think the same person wrote up those two examples  ;D  ;D

JM

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 17 04:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM. That makes total sense.  The entry under Trade or Calling has the word "Ploughman" with the word "Milks" below it (both capitalised). It is now obvious that refers to him being a ploughman on a farm who was also able to milk cows. i.e. the two skills he had which would enable him to be matched to an employer's needs.  Some consistency would have helped in understanding this i.e. "ploughs and milks" or "ploughman and milkman". 
Many thanks
Sharon

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 August 17 04:48 BST (UK) »
It makes a lot more sense after seeing those JM. :)

We have a Ploughman who also reaps, milks and sows.

and the second example is for someone who "ploughs, shears, milks, reaps and sows."

(they have provided a mini Resume listing all of his skills.  :))