Author Topic: Looking for ontario birth records/baptisms and death records  (Read 990 times)

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
Looking for ontario birth records/baptisms and death records
« on: Friday 18 August 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Surname: Dyer

I am looking for any records of birth or baptisms for the siblings of my great great grandmother.

There is a bit of confusion as you can see some siblings such as Rose might be mixed up in the census as far as their age goes.

I am looking for anything pertaining to Rose, Margaret, Sarah, Elizabeth, Jeanne or Mary Jane perhaps, and Bridget. Sarah is the youngest and Elizabeth was two months old in the 1871 census.

It seems Margaret and Rose were mismatched, however it is a bit unclear as to which is correct. I believe it is likely that Rose was older.

Kate's birth record from Scotland indicated the parents names as Patrick Dyer and Mary McDonald!

I have tried various combinations of the names and tried variations of the surname as well as misspellings I have seen such as Dire, Dyes, and others, but have been unable to find any birth records for them.

It seems they were in Port Dalhousie in 1871 and Toronto by 1881.

I have also been unable to find any death records for Patrick Dyer or his wife, however it is Patrick who died before 1881.

1871 census here.

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1871/jpg/4396294_00477.jpg

1881 census here.

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e328/e008181972.jpg

Anyone who can help me shed light on any of these mysteries it would be greatly appreciated. You'd be my hero!

Sláinte

Caoimhín Murphaidh
Murphy, Coughlin, Sullivan, Dyer, Munnelly, McDonald, Kelly, Gardinier

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for ontario birth records/baptisms and death records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 August 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi MurphyK91

I take it that your Great Grandmother was the daughter named Catherine (Kate)?

1871:  Port Dalhousie , Ontario
Patrick  DYER 28, b Ireland, labourer (abt 1843)
Mary 25, b Scotland (abt 1846)
Catherine 7, b Scotland (abt 1864)
Rosanne 5, b Ontario (abt 1866)
Mary Jane 4, b Ontario (abt 1867)
Bridget 3, b Ontario (abt 1868)
Margaret 2, b Ontario (abt 1869)
Elizabeth 2mth, b Obtario (1871)
ROMAN CATHOLIC.

Above them: - Is this Patrick's father? sister?
Michael DYER 68, b Ireland, Labourer
Catherine 35, b Ireland
Mary 13, b Scotland
Sarah 10, b Scotland

1881: Toronto, Ontario enumerated in this order:
Maggie 16, (b abt 1865)
Mary 44, (b abt 1837)
Kate 18, b (b abt 1863)
Rosa 11, (b abt 1870
Jeanie 14, (b abt 1867)
Elizabeth 10, (b abt 1871)
Sarah 8, (b abt 1873)
Bridget 13, (b abt 1868)

I see what you mean about Rose and Margaret, possibly having ages transposed in 1881

There is a FINDA Grave, which says Patrick died 1876 (but no sources)?
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=168594006
I think this is your 'Finda Grave page' though.......linked to Kate's? 

Do you know when Mary his wife was last known to be living? I see her age is a bit out of sorts between 1871 and 1881, too. 

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
Yes you are correct.

There was a Patrick Dyer buried in 1876 at Victor lawn Cemetery according to the cemetery, however I was unable to find any information on this outside the cemetery.

Patrick's sisters Sara and Mary are above yes. Micheal and Catharine Dyer above are his parents. I wonder why her age was written that way. In 1881 she is 60.

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e328/e008188764.jpg

Sarah Baker is their daughter next door with a son Patrick probably named after her brother. I have been wondering how likely Michael Dyer's father was named Patrick. Then again Patrick was his only son among many daughters.

My great great grandmother was clearly named after Patrick's mother. I also believe Rose was likely the second oldest because Mary McDonald's mother's name was Rose Kelly.

I believe Jeanne may have been named after Mary's paternal grandmother Janet McDonald nee McMillan.
Other names seem to all be from Patrick's siblings two of which died in Glasgow who were Bridget and Elizabeth.

1881 is the last census I was able to locate Mary Dyer nee McDonald in.

Kate married my great great grandfather Dennis in Chicago Illinois in 1882. I found information regarding a Rose Dyer marrying a Richard Henry Lear in Illinois. Elizabeth Dyer married a John Duke, but I do not know where they were married.

All but one of my great great grandfather's sisters ended up living in Chicago. While him and his brothers ended up in Buffalo.

I wonder what the motive was for some of the Dyer and Murphy family to move to Chicago during that time period.

I just wonder why I am unable to find any birth records or baptisms for Kate Dyer's younger siblings and nothing about her father's death.

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 17 19:00 BST (UK) »
Also Michael is 65 in 1881. So these ages seem to jump around a lot. It's definitely them as Sarah Baker's death record shows her parents names which match her birth record. All of these things match Patrick and Mary's marriage record. So we are definitely looking at the right people. There just seems to be a lot of fog perhaps in part due to the 1890 census being destroyed.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 17 20:52 BST (UK) »
Patrick and Mary had an unnamed son born 19 May 1879 who died 08 Oct 1879 of pneumonia.  Birth registered in York.

Registration of BMDs was not officially required until 1869 in Ontario and even then not everyone was compliant in the beginning.

Since they were Roman Catholic have you tried FamilySearch.org.  They have unindexed Roman Catholic records from various counties.  I imagine Port Dalhousie would mean you would be looking in Lincoln County records.  You might be able to find baptism records for the children.  Patrick's death seems to be between 1879 and 1881 in the Toronto area.