Author Topic: Francis Stewart's incarceration 1881?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Francis Stewart's incarceration 1881?
« on: Friday 18 August 17 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some information on where I could find further information about an imprisonment, which prison was he likely taken to and where would I find archives for this?

I found a newspaper article regarding my 2x great-grand uncle Francis Stewart. He was imprisoned for 3 months with hard labour for ill-treatment of his step-daughter; Mary Nicoll or Stewart b. 1881. He was convicted under the Prevention of Cruelty and Protection of Children Act 1889. The sentence was passed on 6th February 1891 at Forfar Sheriff Court.

Francis, at the time of the case was a constable with Forfarshire Constabulary in Letham near Forfar. He was married to Margaret Nicoll the mother of the child whom was ill-treated.

Francis Stewart b.1860 Montrose. Son of Francis Stewart b.1834 and Ann Thomson b.1833. His siblings are in order of birth; John, Jessie, Betsy, Arthur, William, Sarah, Jane and Ann in case these are of use.

Many thanks for any help offered on where I can go with records like this.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Stewart's incarceration 1881?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 August 17 04:21 BST (UK) »
He would have been in prison on the date of the 1891 census, then, would he not? I would start by looking there to find out where he was.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 August 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
You are right, Forfarian  ;)

Francis Stewart, aged 29 and born in Montrose shows as a prisoner at the H M General Prison, Edinburgh Road, Perth.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
You are right, Forfarian  ;)

Francis Stewart, aged 29 and born in Montrose shows as a prisoner at the H M General Prison, Edinburgh Road, Perth.

Monica

Thank you both for the info. For some reason I had thought prisoners weren't included in censuses. I've found the entry for him at Perth due to both of you.

Thanks again.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie