Author Topic: Hernhill marriage  (Read 1676 times)

Offline parf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hernhill marriage
« on: Friday 18 August 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hello, Im looking for the marriage of Charles Morris to Frances Harris in Hernhill Church in 1862.  I have found the marriage on LDS website but only has the date and no other details.  I have found a burial for a Frances Morris in Chatham Church on 15th May 1864 and it says that she was 65 years old.  If I have the right Charles Morris,  he was born in 1839 that would make about a 40year age difference. 
If I could find his marriage to Frances in 1862 and then his marriage to Annie/Ann Hookey before 1881 I could find out if it is the same person.
Could anyone help me sort this all out
Jan

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hernhill marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the 1861 to see if there is a Frances Morris with that birthyear in Kent?

Have you found Charles on the 1871 census?

Im looking for the marriage of Charles Morris to Frances Harris in Hernhill Church in 1862.  I have found the marriage on LDS website but only has the date and no other details.

Full date should be given to help narrow any search of records.  FS shows it was 5th Oct but does not show which church

I notice there is another 1862 marriage in Kent for a Charles Morris so is there a reason you have ignored that one in favour of the one to Frances Harris?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
There is a burial at Hernhill,

1863 June 16 Frances MORRIS - Hernhill - aged 25.

Maybe the burial you are looking for.

There does not appear to be any Hernhill marriages, on line, after 1837.

Tony

Offline parf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 August 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help, I must go and have another look into them, they are confusing me a bit ! Cant find a marriage for Annie/Ann Hookey and Charles Morris anywhere, maybe they didnt get married even !!!

Thanks again
Jan

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 August 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
1881 has Annie Morris plus 2 of her Hookey children (Sophia & Emma) plus Maud Morris age 2 and Ada Morris age 1
Sophia Hookey has no mothers maiden name showing on GRO birth index.  Morris children have mmn Hookey.

I can't see a Hookey/Morris marriage that fits.  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 August 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
All I can add re. the 1862 marriage is that banns show them as both single.

However, I think I might have found the marriage of Annie Hookey to Charles the year before daughter Maud Mary was born.   A later census shows that Annie's father was named George Hookey and on 30/9/1877 Bethnal Green an Annie Hookey, dau. of George Hookey, farmer (?more likely Agricultural Labourer) married a Charles Norris , son of a John (deceased).   Charles is shown as a widower which would indicate an earlier marriage but whether it was the one in 1862 I can't say.   Both Charles and Annie made their mark so would have no idea that his surname recorded as Norris and not Morris - have checked census and births on GRO index site and there is no likely Charles Norris/Annie around nor any births under Norris, mmn Hookey, in the relevant time frame - this is why I think the 1877 is them but no idea why it took place in Bethnal Green.

I noted from census that Annie Morris, nee Hookey, later married a Joseph Collins - took a while but think I've found it in June quarter 1887 Strood but his surname shown as Collings rather than Collins.   I see that Charles Morris bc.1839 died in Mar.qtr.1885 Strood and that he and Annie had 2 more children - George Charles in June qtr.1882 and Eliza in June 1885.  Eliza clearly born around the time of her fathers death, probably just after.

I'm finding Charles Morris the problem here - 1881 census states bc.1839 Peckham, Kent and the age ties in with the death in 1885 but I can't seem to find him in earlier census at all.   Peckham, Kent would suggest birthplace of West Peckham or East Peckham (the other Peckham being in Surrey).   

I hope some of this helps.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline parf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
Wow thank you, where did you find that marriage  ? Are there records online for Bethnal Green ?

Thats brilliant !!
Thanks again
Jan

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 August 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
That marriage is a brilliant find Annette.  It looks pretty well spot on to me.

Charles' father is given as John but unfortunately deceased with no occupation.  John is a Labourer.  As you say why Bethnal Green?  However, both are stated to be residents of that Place.

Now, as to Charles' place of birth, I believe he thought it was Petham, just south-west of Canterbury.  However it is more likely that he was baptised at Waltham before the family moved up the road to Petham.  His father John was a Blacksmith.  There is also another difficulty this baptism is in 1829 and not 1839.  The earlier marriage might help this conundrum.  1841 census return appears accurate but later ones show the CM born at Waltham had difficulty in remembering his age!

Not a lot of help, just more questions,

Tony