Author Topic: MOVED TO SLIGO POSTS Schools in Ballyconnell Sligo  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Bwin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MOVED TO SLIGO POSTS Schools in Ballyconnell Sligo
« on: Friday 18 August 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
My Grandmother was the teacher in Ballyconnell School Sligo in the early 1920s; her own daughters attended the school and I assumed that my Father, her only son, would have done so too. I've just learned that he didn't! I'd be very grateful for any advice on how to find out which school in the area he did go to.
Many thanks.

Offline MandK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MOVED TO SLIGO POSTS Schools in Ballyconnell Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 September 18 05:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think that you may be related to Professor John Carolan who was shot during a raid in his home called Fernside in October 1920. We live in Australia but I have been researching this story as my mother in law, who was Christina (Chris) Levey at the time,  was Professor Carolan's sister in law. His wife Bridget ( nee Leavey - the spellings of their surname varies in many records)  was Christina's much older sister and Christina lived with them at that time. I started out writing up this incident as part of our family history to leave for our children and grandchildren but I have got very involved in the research and I think (hope?) my writing up will become quite a story in itself.
Margaret Emily Fleming ( nee Carolan) was Professor John's sister - as far as my research as told me - and I think she may well be your grandmother? I have found an article in the newspapers of the time of her death and it all seems to tally with facts you have given about your grandmother
Could you let me know if I am correct in thinking that your grandmother and Professor Carolan's sister are one and the same? If so would you be interested in sharing any family information about his family with me and I in turn would be more that happy to share any information, articles etc with you, although being a much closer relative you may well have more than I.
regards
Marian and Ken Donnelly Sydney Australia

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline MandK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I have researched all the statement from the Bureau and all the newspaper articles via the Irish Newspaper Archives. Thanks for your interest.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 September 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
The original poster, Bwin, seems to have known the answer to his/her question here:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773875.

And same question again here:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=777294.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 September 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
The original poster, Bwin, seems to have known the answer to his/her question here:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773875.

And same question again here:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=777294.

Carol

Anything interesting on those threads?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 September 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
I'm far too lazy to type it all out.  That's why I've given the links ::)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 September 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
I'm far too lazy to type it all out.  That's why I've given the links ::)

Carol

No problem!   8)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Bwin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 September 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think that you may be related to Professor John Carolan who was shot during a raid in his home called Fernside in October 1920. We live in Australia but I have been researching this story as my mother in law, who was Christina (Chris) Levey at the time,  was Professor Carolan's sister in law. His wife Bridget ( nee Leavey - the spellings of their surname varies in many records)  was Christina's much older sister and Christina lived with them at that time. I started out writing up this incident as part of our family history to leave for our children and grandchildren but I have got very involved in the research and I think (hope?) my writing up will become quite a story in itself.
Margaret Emily Fleming ( nee Carolan) was Professor John's sister - as far as my research as told me - and I think she may well be your grandmother? I have found an article in the newspapers of the time of her death and it all seems to tally with facts you have given about your grandmother
Could you let me know if I am correct in thinking that your grandmother and Professor Carolan's sister are one and the same? If so would you be interested in sharing any family information about his family with me and I in turn would be more that happy to share any information, articles etc with you, although being a much closer relative you may well have more than I.
regards
Marian and Ken Donnelly Sydney Australia

Hello!

How lovely to read your post. Yes, I believe that my Grandmother Margaret Emily Fleming had a number of siblings, one of whom was a brother who was a Professor in Dublin! It's a long story but I actually know a lot less about my Irish family than you might think, and I have focused more on the Flemings than the Carolans,  but would be delighted to share information. I'm away at the moment and will message you privately when I return.

Thanks again for making contact. Best wishes to you and your family.

Sheila