Author Topic: Trying to Find Annie Gibson Turner: abt 1858 England or Scotland?  (Read 3921 times)

Offline ladytgibson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to Find Annie Gibson Turner: abt 1858 England or Scotland?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 04:17 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Netherthong baptisms are not online so I can't find any further details, but if I'm looking at the right man then the Marilyn Simmons family tree says he died 17 Apr 1916 and the Commonwealth War Graves site lists him as No. 153, Bermuda Militia Artillery.

His military record is online and says he was born Somerset, Bermuda  ???

aarrrrggggg I just checked with a genealogist in Bermuda who just confirmed what you said.  Now I have to second guess if Annie was born in Bermuda instead of England.  Frustrating to say the least.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 04:40 BST (UK) »
Very confusing when there are place names abroad which are the same as UK.

I recall in my early research hunting high & low for a relative who was born in Scotland (had his birth cert.) although some of the family immigrated to Canada & a couple of them stayed in UK.

A Canadian relative had given the info. that this particular relative had died in 'LONDON' but omitted Ontario, Canada & I had no idea there was a London in Ontario  ;D
I thought he had remained in UK i.e. was searching for him in London, UK not Canada where he died & was buried  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Now I have to second guess if Annie was born in Bermuda instead of England.  Frustrating to say the least.

As the census record in Wavertree has her as born Bermuda and not a British citizen then that does seem the most likely. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.