Author Topic: Pennys of West Coker and Area  (Read 732 times)

Offline lunarjan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pennys of West Coker and Area
« on: Saturday 19 August 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
Pennys of West Coker and Area

My Great Great Grandfather John Dunn Penny (1817-1856 in West Coker) married Ann Dunn (1812-1875) in Preston Plucknett. He was an Innkeeper in West Coker.

John's father was John Penny, baptised 27 Jan 1795 in West Coker, and also became an Innkeeper.

His wife was named Ann, and the most likely marriage for him was to Ann Beer on 18 Jan 1816 in Hardington Mandeville.

He was buried on 30 June 1827 at St Martin of Tours in West Coker.

I'm now trying to track the Pennys further back, to see if they connect with the Yeovil Pennys, as there was a Charles Penny (1815-1884), who was Rector of St Martins in West Coker, whose ancestors were from Yeovil. (There is a very useful and informative site, The A to Z of Yeovil's History, which has an extensive family tree for that branch.)

The baptism record in 1795 for John senior gives parents as John Penny and Mary, and there are a number of (potential) siblings born between 1791 and 1800 in West Coker.

There is a burial record for a John Penny on 16 May 1810 in West Coker, which could be John senior's father? This gives his age as 44, so born in about 1766.
Also in 1810 a John Pinny from West Coker is named on the Index to Death Duties Transcription Register.

So I'm searching for his baptism, other siblings, details of his parents and so on!

Any help would be much appreciated!