Author Topic: Birth Certificates  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Certificates
« on: Saturday 19 August 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I apologise if this has been asked elsewhere but I wasn't sure how to phrase a search.

From the 1881 census I have a relative who is living with his mother and grandmother. I have his birth certificate but no father is named.

So far so good. I have now searched backwards and cannot find any earlier census records for the mother or grandmother. I therefore decided I would look for a birth certificate for his mother in the hope of finding her father's name and mother's maiden name.

Now for my problem, there are three birth registrations that could be his mother. Is there a way of getting enough data from the three birth certificates to identify which one is her without having to buy the three certificates first?

Thanks for looking.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificates
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 August 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Go here, you can search with the mothers maiden name, that should cut it down from three possible's, unless of course you don't know it?
 https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

I really should pay more attention  ::)

"I therefore decided I would look for a birth certificate for his mother in the hope of finding her father's name and mother's maiden name."
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 August 17 13:08 BST (UK) »
Why not tell us who you are looking at & where they are in 1881.  :-\

Alternatively if you look at the three 'possible' birth registrations for the mother on the gro website and using the mothers maiden surname try to establish a possible marriage for each of the parents, hopefully then the 'wifes, first name should match grandma in 1881
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks Larkspur, it's good to know I'm not the only one. I think it comes from being keen to help :-) so thank you.

Rosie, thanks for your advice. Does that mean I can see details of parents on a birth registration online at GRO without requesting actual certificates?

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 August 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
I think what Rosie means is the GRO now includes mother's maiden names in their birth indexes

So if you look up each of the three possibilities and track the parents of each, you may be able to find a link to what you already know

Or post the names & dates of the people concerned in here and Rootschats sleuthers may well find the answer for you!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 August 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
So if you look up each of the three possibilities and track the parents of each, you may be able to find a link to what you already know
...using the marriage index on freebmd.org you can see full names of both parties of a marriage. You can fill in both surnames from the 3 possible birth parent pairs from GRO birth indexes; guess the marriage year at about 1 - 7 years before this birth. As rosie99 says, one may have the forename of the grandma.

But I agree with everyone else - unless you are keen to do the research yourself, we are happy to help if you tell us names & census references.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 August 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
As others have said, it's so much easier to help if we know who you are looking for.

Looking at your old posts, I wonder whether it's the family of John Bromley b 1880 Montgomeryshire, whose 1881 and other census details were provided at reply #6 of this old thread?

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=631088.msg4803724#msg4803724
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks All for taking the time to help. Special thanks for the information on what is included in GRO records. That will help (I think).

To be honest, wherever possible we are trying to do the research ourselves. As no doubt you all agree it is the search that is the hook and then finally cracking it is a special moment. I know I could just go on to Ancestry, type a relative and someone else's tree will show me the whole thing but that is no fun.

We had shelved our searches for quite a while but we are now back on the trail.

AVM228 I can see that you are a real family history detective. It is John Bromley's family I am trying to trace in this particular query but pre the data provided in the previous post you referred to.

I have come to the conclusion that his mother Elizabeth (per the censuses) was actually registered at birth as Mary (her mother's name) because she and John are living with Francis Jones in the 1891 census and the only marriage reference I can find for a Bromley and Francis Jones in the area at that time is Mary Bromley in 1888.

Part of our problem (fun) is that where they lived straddles the border between England and Wales so half of the records mention Oswestry, Shropshire as the local record office while the other half mention Llanfyllin, Montgomeryshire.

I will now try the GRO records for mother's maiden names and then look for those maiden names for the right forename as suggested. I am also joining my local records office where I will be able to see copies of old Parish Records and get free access to the Shropshire BMD data on FindMyPast.

I will let you all know how I get on.

Thanks again everyone for taking an interest and offering a helping hand. You are a great bunch of people.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
You can't go on the census being correct as to who the mother was, I have a few who are listed as son/daughter of the grandmother - but registered correctly as the child of the unmarried daughter, but being brought up as a younger sibling - in some cases I suspect the child never knew the truth - one certainly names her grandfather (deceased) as her father on her wedding certificate - as he died several years before her birth it's definately not him