Author Topic: Thomas and Price families, Hafodarthan Rd, LLanhilleth  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Thom123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas and Price families, Hafodarthan Rd, LLanhilleth
« on: Saturday 19 August 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
my Grandfather John Thomas was born in 1913 at Hafodarthen Road, Llanhilleth, to William Thomas and Sarah Ann Thomas (maiden name Price).
Bit of a long shot but someone may be able to help through a sticking point in my research, I have census details for 1901 and 1911 for William and Sarah and their children, and a possible marriage certificate saying sarah's Dad is William Price and William's Dad is John Thomas. Also possible census details for Sarah's family in 1881 at Himalaya Range, Monmouthshire.
I'm basically looking for more leads so I can continue with some research as I'm at a standstill, or if there is anyone who knows the area who can advise on ideas that would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Price families, Hafodarthan Rd, LLanhilleth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 August 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi just bookmarking this thread, I can see family in 1901/11 , William c 1863 Sarah Ann 1871 George 1895 Trevor 1900, they married 1889 Newport do you have them 1891?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thom123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 August 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for replying, yes that's the correct 1901/11 census for my family, for 1891 census I have found a possible for Sarah Ann Thomas working as a servant for the Payne family Caerleon Rd, Newport, Monmouthshire.

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 17 21:12 BST (UK) »
if that's the correct 1881 ref RG11/5244 folio 13 pg 23, I've checked the birth registration of son Morgan R aged 8 months on the GRO index and mother's maiden name shows as Edwards

Morgan Rees Price sept qtr 1880 Bedwellty vol 11a pg 101 - he died in 1882.

There's also a birth reg for Thomas M Price in 1875 mmn Edwards which leads to
Sarah Ann Price march qtr 1873 Bedwellty vol 11a pg 103
which makes her a bit younger than the 1901 census would suggest. What age is given on the marriage cert? And what address? Do the name of the witnesses help?

William & Mary and baby William are on the 1871 census
Mount Pleasant, Sirhowy RG10/5323 folio 64 pg 14
William Price head mar 26 collier b. Breconshire, Rassau
Mary wife 24 b. Beaufort
William son 1 b. Mount Pleasant

Possible marriage 13 April 1865 in Llanelli Breconshire for William Price aged 20, miner and Mary Edwards 19, both of Brynmawr, his father William, miner, and her father William, collier.

When did William & Sarah Ann die? Have you checked the 1939 register for them?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Thom123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 August 17 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for the info. I do not know when Sarah Ann died as yet.

On the marriage cert the residence was Abercarn, Newport, at time of marriage her age is 17 and William Was 21, and the witness's were William Price (maybe Brother or Father) and Mary Ann Waite.

From what you say it looks like Mary Ann Edwards could very well be Sarah Ann's Mother but, on the 1901 and 1911 census Sarah Ann has her Father William Price and her Brother (another Morgan Price born 1887) living with them in the Thomas household, but it says Sarah's Father has Ebbw Vale as his birthplace on both 1901 and 1911, which is not too far from Rassau I guess, he was a Collier.

Sarah Ann was around 42 when my Grandfather was born.