Author Topic: Death at Sea Records  (Read 1876 times)

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death at Sea Records
« on: Sunday 20 August 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather Bryan O'Connor was a seaman all his life. He served in H.M. Royal Navy until about 1898 and continued to work on ships after that. The last record I have of him being on a ship is when he got married in 1911. He was crew for a ship called Medusa. The ship was docked in Bantry at the time and was used to calibrate guns. Unfortunately I have no further records of him after 1911. His son was born in March 1916 so I know he was alive at least up to 9 months before his son was born.
We were always told that Bryan O'Connor was lost/died at sea. This event must have happened between July 1915 and 1921. 1921 was the year that my Great Grandmother re-married. I have searched endlessly for a long time now.

Does anyone know how deaths at sea were handled in the early 1900's?
Where could I find records of his death?
Would it have been registered with his local parish?
Are there crew lists for civilian ships?

Anything that can point me in the direction of my Great Grand Father would be appreciated
Moore, Kiernan, O' Sullivan, O' Connor
Other names I know of are:
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Death at Sea Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 August 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/birth-marriage-death-sea-or-abroad/

FindMyPast has deaths at sea for that period but I can't see any mention of him
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
Needle in a haystack.
I have found nothing for him in the Deaths at sea registers. Nor in the 1915 Crew agreements on line.
http://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/
There were three merchant vessels with the name MEDUSA around from 1906 until the 1940's
MEDUSA official number 119744 registered in Southampton. A steamship.
MEDUSA  O/N 123783 registered in London. Sailing ship.
MEDUSA O/N 133246 registered in Liverpool Steamer.
Crew agreements 1914, 1916, 1917 and 1918 should be in the British National Archive. Series BT165
Miscellaneous other crew agreements from TNA and here.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/

Crew agreements 1907 to 1912 for the Southampton registered vessel. Southampton Record Office.

It could have been the case that he served under T124X articles (Merchant seamen on board an RN ship  subject to naval discipline but keeping MN pay and conditions.)
I have searched the database at MUN . nothing there.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/t124x/t124xfindingaid.php?LastName=o+connor&boolean1=AND&FirstName=bryan
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Its like he just disappeared off the face of the earth. I have tried variations of his first and last names like:
Brian, Brien, Bryan, Bryn etc.
and
O'Connor, OConnor, Connor, O'Conor, OConor, Conor etc.

I also checked the National Archives like some of you advised and nothing also (I appreciate you checking though)

The ship Medusa he worked on, I believe, was HMS Medusa (1888) Marathon Class Cruiser last sold in Liverpool 1920. He might not have served on it at the time of his death. The only reason I have that ships name is because he registered that ship as his residence at the time he got married.

HMS Medusa (1895) CC  (5th)

This the fifth ship to carry the name HMS Medusa was a 2nd Class, Protected Cruiser.
Built at Chatham Dockyard, laid down 25-Aug-1887, launched 11-Aug-1888 and completed 1895.

On completion was used as the RNS Drill ship at North Shields 1895-1901. Then refitted at Jarrow 1901-02. Served with the Cruiser Training Squadron 1902-03, then seagoing tender to the Training Ship Impregnable at Devon 1904.

Laid up at Motherbank 1905-08 and placed on the sales list for a short time 1908.
Refitted at Pembroke Dock a909 then towed to Bantry Bay to be used as a calibrating vessel 1910.
Final duty was as harbour service at Queenstown 1917-18.
Sold 1920.

I am trying to get my Grand Uncles Birth Record which might reveal more.

William Patrick O'Connor born 22nd (or23rd) March 1916 Glengarriff, Bantry, Co. Cork, Ireland

His birth record might reveal an address and occupation for Bryan at the time of Williams birth which might help track Bryan down.

Thanks to those who helped so far
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 August 17 08:06 BST (UK) »
His daughter's Mary's birth 1912 at Droumaclarig
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1912/01477/1601476.pdf

States that he is a pensioner H M R Navy
I am sure his wife Nora would have had to inform the Navy of his death in order to get a widow's pension,that info should be contained in his pension record.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 August 17 09:25 BST (UK) »

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 August 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dathai

As far as I am aware that is him. He was born 3rd January 1861 to Brien Connor and Mary Cull.

This puzzle is almost complete. I just need to figure out how and when he died.

Good idea about the widows pension.

How do I find that information?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 17 17:00 BST (UK) »

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all that helped with this topic so far.

I thought I would update you all. I managed to find a baptismal record that confirms Bryan Connor's Parents. The baptismal record has an astrix next to his name and a footnote stating:

"Bryan Connor married Hanora Shea at R.C. Church Glengarriff Co. Kerry on 19th Jan 1912"
Note: Glengarriff is in the County of Cork and the Registration District of Bantry but is officially in the Diocese of Kerry.

Bryan's Parents were Brien/Bryan Connor and Mary Cull from Cobh/Queenstown Co. Cork
From what I know Bryan had 3 brothers and 3 sisters.

Now I just need to find out when Bryan Connor 1859 died