Author Topic: 1939 Register, missing people  (Read 2992 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1939 Register, missing people
« on: Sunday 20 August 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
Trying to find members of my family in the 1939 Register (wanting to find their address) I come up with a complete blank. My maternal grandparents were born in 1876 and 1880, so should not be blocked. How complete was the register? Is it likely that an entire household may have been missed?

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register, missing people
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 August 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
want to post thier details?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find my grandparents even though I knew exactly where they were in 1939. By looking at the actual image it seemed a large section was missing. Luckily I also knew the names of neighbours, so contacted FindMyPast, who found a section had been missed out when the records were put online. They rectified this and I found my grandfather, although my grandmother is still missing! The only thing I can think of is that her date of birth has been recorded incorrectly so that she is still regarded as being younger than 100.

Your problem obviously is that you don't have an address. Have you tried searching by putting in less information eg just first names of all in the family? 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
want to post thier details?

Problem with that surely is that we are not allowed to give information from the 1939?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these responses. I have in fact tried putting in less detail, as well as all the detail I know, but still no luck.
I realise that it is not allowed to post details from the 1939 register. But if someone were to look these people up and find them, perhaps s/he could let me know what search details / parameters were used––then I could use the same method.

They are James Page (b. July 5 [?]1876); Mary Page (b. 1880); Margaret Page (b. April 9 1921) and Florence Page (b. 1915) I believe they would have been living at the same address when the Register was made.
I guess my next step is to find the latest electoral roll from pre 1939 to give me the likely address.
Thanks for all help, suggestion, expertise

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 August 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
where were Florence & Margaret born

Ignore that found them Stockport RD - Florences birth was registered March 1916
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 August 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
Try Gage  :-\

Did Florence marry James Heathcote  March qtr 1940 - if so free index gives name as Heatcote (Gage)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 August 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Rosie! You were correct about Florence's marriage. I did as you suggested, tried 'Gage' and found James and Mary 'and one more person', and 2 more people who are officially closed (presume this is Margaret and Florence). I shall be visiting the library tomorrow to make use of their access to FindMyPast, which should yield me the details I need.
I'm so grateful for your help, and for all responses to my query.

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 August 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
One small mystery ...why Florence Page ['Gage'] should be recorded as Florence [Heathcote] Gage, when she did not marry James Heathcote until 1940, first quarter. Was it the practice in compiling the register to record the marriage intentions of single women?