Author Topic: Help needed please - Where do I start?  (Read 1076 times)

Offline MrsYa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed please - Where do I start?
« on: Sunday 20 August 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
I'm at the very start (one week in!) of my journey, looking to fill in lots of gaps in my Grandad's story of his experiences in WW2.

Frank (or F.A) Barber, born 1918 in Kidderminster, a gunner in the 209th of 53rd anti-tank regiment of Worcestershire Yeomanry. Sent to France in early 1940, captured in Cassel in May 1940. Spent time in Stalag XXB, worked on a farm and made at least one escape attempt before returning home in 1945 we think.

Lots of gaps and not paid for any records yet as not sure if they're all the same or there's one that will provide me with more...

My mum and I are hoping to find: address at sign up, POW camp dates, repatriation details and the dream would be photos as he mentions being in a camp band and even singing!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed please - Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 August 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
The Service Records for all personnel serving after 1920 are still with the MOD.

See: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
There is a fee of £30, unless his wife is applying.
You will need a copy of the death certificate.

You might find something re his POW records here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/second-world-war-prisoner-of-war-records-now-online/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome back to Rootschat.
How far have you got with your tree since you started (in 2012?)

What details of him have you got?
Please list all details as that saves duplication of effort and incorrect assumptions, etc.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
30 September 1940
Evening Despatch - Birmingham, West Midlands, England

'Mrs Barber of The Nook, Austcliffe-road, Cookley, near Kidderminster, has received official notification that her only son Gunner Frank A. Barber, aged 22, who was last heard of in May in Belgium, is a prisoner of war.'

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 August 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
His service record is likely to show his postings, detachments etc. and this identifies the particular units in which he served and their location at the time he joined them. It doesn't supply any details on the activities of the units themselves. There is a considerable delay (several months) in responding to these requests because of the number the Army receives.

Forgive me if you already know all this:

You can find out about a particular unit if their "War Diaries" are lodged at The National Archive at Kew (near Kew Gardens station). As a gunner, it is highly unlikely that he would ever be mentioned by name. The diaries were submitted monthly. I did a quick search on the National archive site on "Worcestershire Yeomanry" but there appeared to be nothing of relevance.

A description of their activities leading up to Dunkirk is available at:

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/5278/53rd-worcestershire-yeomanry-anti-tank-regiment/

It seems they can credit themselves with helping to save all those that did get away from the beaches.

Google has some images if you submit "Stalag XXB".

There is a previous Rootschat discussion on the camp with some photos here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=525370.63

Alternatively you can find it by simply typing "Stalag XXB" in the search box at the top of this page. This will provide lots of tips on where else to look.

Good luck,
Malcolm

Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 August 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
There are two war diaries of relevance in the period 1939-1940 for 53 (Worcs and Ox Yeomanry) Anti-Tank Regiment Royal Artillery, of which 209 Battery was one of the sub units,  both on this page
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_p=1925&_q=53+anti+tank

The regiment went to France with 48 Infantry Division in January 1940.  Hugh Sebag-Montefiore's book "Dunkirk - fight to the last man" has lots about the action at Cassel including a splendid account by a Bombardier Wally Munn, fellow gunner in 209 Battery, of the battery's action at Cassel.
"Men in the Worcester Yeomanry have claimed that as many as 40 German tanks were dispatched by these [2 pounder anti tank) guns".  More generally, his accounts of 48 Div's involvement in the defence of the Dunkirk perimeter are worth a read.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MrsYa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 August 17 18:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all your replies.

Max - thank you for your suggestions. Funnily enough, Grandad remained friends with Harry 'Wally' Munn and I'm in touch with his son-in-law Paul who has been incredibly helpful. I'm also in contact with Hugh and he's also given me some advice on my research. My Grandad is mentioned by name in his book.

Thanks again everyone. I'm going through your links.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 August 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
Delighted to hear it!  Of the list of things you wish to find, his sign up date and service prior to capture will be in his service record so do apply for those.  Good luck with the search for information about the post Dunkirk period of his life. 

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia