Author Topic: Annie Wright nee Slavin 1915-1977 born Calton Glasgow  (Read 6339 times)

Offline Stephen Laing

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Wright nee Slavin 1915-1977 born Calton Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 August 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
Looking at original photo,I think the headgear has been added possibly by child scribbling on photo

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 August 17 10:15 BST (UK) »

Such a lovely photo, I was meant to start a new work project this morning, but as soon as i saw the portrait photo i couldn't resist having a go at it. Us restorers are like alcoholics with a beer in front of us we cant resist the temptation - just one more!!. (apologies to any alcoholics for any simile used, it is no laughing matter but nor is being tempted with old photos for restore  ;D

It does look like scribble indeed rather than a hat....

It would also be good to thank all restorers who worked on the photo and those that included headgear might be motivated possibly to make some further alterations for you. You probably would have got around to it, but you also have some other photos that restorers completed that you have not thanked them for the time and effort...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774936.msg6283595#msg6283595
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774830.msg6282250#msg6282250
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774646.msg6279936#msg6279936

Its up to you really :-)

Kind regards
Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Good quality size scans will mean much better restores >> hint hint :-)

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 August 17 10:26 BST (UK) »

Such a lovely photo, I was meant to start a new work project this morning, but as soon as i saw the portrait photo i couldn't resist having a go at it. Us restorers are like alcoholics with a beer in front of us we cant resist the temptation - just one more!!. (apologies to any alcoholics for any simile used, it is no laughing matter but nor is being tempted with old photos for restore  ;D

It does look like scribble indeed rather than a hat....

It would also be good to thank all restorers who worked on the photo and those that included headgear might be motivated possibly to make some further alterations for you. You probably would have got around to it, but you also have some other photos that restorers completed that you have not thanked them for the time and effort...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774936.msg6283595#msg6283595
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774830.msg6282250#msg6282250
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774646.msg6279936#msg6279936

Its up to you really :-)

Kind regards

Agree with you MartynS ...especially thanking people for their efforts and as you mentioned ..It is up to him  :)

Offline Stephen Laing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 August 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
I thought I had thanked all restorers for work done on my photos, I'm quiet new to this webpage, not got the hang off things, I have corrected my mistake, I think the work you all do to these images is fantastic.
I have quiet a large collection of family photos, some are in good condition,some are terrible, the work you do helps preserve them for future generations.

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 August 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
I thought I had thanked all restorers for work done on my photos, I'm quiet new to this webpage, not got the hang off things, I have corrected my mistake, I think the work you all do to these images is fantastic.
I have quiet a large collection of family photos, some are in good condition,some are terrible, the work you do helps preserve them for future generations.

Hi Stephen,

Marvellous

In the past we have all spent time on restores and not received any acknowledgement. I was not shooting you down specifically, far from it as i saw you posted thanks on some other posts, just trying to give a gentle nudge as it does hurt our feelings when nothing comes back from posters of original photos. I run my own little black list now of people who have not thanked all restorers, no point in wasting our time  :P

Thank you so much for going over the links i shared and thanking those posters, they will be motivated to work on any photos you post in future.

Eagerly awaiting more of your family photos  ;)

Best regards

Martyn
Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Good quality size scans will mean much better restores >> hint hint :-)

Offline Stephen Laing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 August 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
I will make sure to check at end of restoration that I have thanked

Offline Stephen Laing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 August 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
Spoke to Annie Wright's daughter , her mothers eyes were blue , there was definitely no headdress on original photo.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 August 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Looking at the pattern of creases on the photo, it looks as if someone might have traced around her face and features with a view to maybe transferring the tracing onto paper for a drawing/painting.

Strange that you should mention the headdress - I see a delicate veil with some darker spots around the back and sides of head. They're too regular for blemishes. These veils, often attached to a very small hat or clip, were  fairly fashionable at the time.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 August 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
I agree with Gadget, hats with veils were fashionable from Victorian times until well after WW2, see picture. I definitely think this is a veil with spots on, sometimes worn over the face, sometimes just bordering the face.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU