Author Topic: A local knowledge of Bradford ? Exchange Buildings  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A local knowledge of Bradford ? Exchange Buildings
« on: Sunday 20 August 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to tell me if buildings referred to in 1859 as the 'Exchange Buildings' would be the same place as I have seen on the internet today housing a rather splendid looking bookshop?

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: A local knowledge of Bradford ? Exchange Buildings
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 August 17 19:55 BST (UK) »
I know the bookshop you mean (I used to work just round the corner from it): it was formerly the Wool Exchange.
Unfortunately it wasn't built until 1864-67, so not the buildings you refer to.

Bradford Central Library has a very helpful Local History library housed within it: the staff there may be able to help you.

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 17 20:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you - that does answer my question.
The reason for asking is I have a diary entry (1859) which reads ' ..attended a lecture at the Exchange Buildings'
It was just the thought of him sitting in that building made me want  to visit!

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 17 20:30 BST (UK) »
Oh, it's a lovely building: I used to spend far, far too much of my salary in there!
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Not sure when it was built but there was also 'The Exchange' railway station, it says in the link below it was named The 'Exchange' in 1867'. It has since been demolished but it used to be on Drake Street. Not far from the 'Wool Exchange'.
As cati says, the Wool Exchange wasn't built until 1867 but there used to be a Piece Hall in the same area and I am wondering if people used to call that, or nearby buildings,'the exchange' as well. The name 'Exchange' must have been being used for some other building in '1859'?
I think the Piece Hall was demolished in 1858? but a 'Piece Hall Yard' is still there

This is the old Exchange Station
http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/Bradford.htm

This is a very old sketch of the Bradford Piece Hall (left), probably in about 1800 or even earlier?

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 August 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
Ibbetson's Directory of the Borough of Bradford
(1845)
'Exchange Buildings are pleasantly situated in the street which is called by their name. This structure is in the Grecian style. The foundation stone was laid February 3rd, 1826, and the building was finished in 1828, at an expense upwards of £7,000 [....]There is a valuable library, containing upwards of 6,000 volumes, in connection with this institution.'

Some more info in the link
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=XaRhAAAAcAAJ&pg=PR10&lpg=PR10&dq=exchange%20buildings%20bradford&source=bl&ots=08qt9HmvRU&sig=wZSf49Peks8IlEvFbfMfYQ76CHs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp8tLU2ubVAhWEI8AKHUQlBV44ChDoAQgqMAk#v=onepage&q=exchange%20buildings%20bradford&f=false

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 August 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the information. I have just found this ( part of a town trail leaflet on the internet) and it does seem to match up with the same description found by sallyyorks.

Turn left along Kirkgate and make a short detour left up Piccadilly. The Exchange Rooms (21), on the left and to the rear of the Bradford Banking Company building, were built in 1828 in Greek revival style, to provide public newsrooms, billiard rooms and a ballroom. They were later used as a wool exchange and then as Bradford’s Post Office from 1867-87.

So I am now wondering if this building is still there?

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 August 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thankyou again sallyyorks!
I agree that is the building - it matches the description and the details of the location. I had a good old 'walk' around Bradford!