Author Topic: William Seaman STEVENS  (Read 4228 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Seaman STEVENS
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 August 17 12:14 BST (UK) »
There is a Will for William Stevens , died 1834, of Albion Street, Loughton, schoolmaster, everything left to wife Mary, who is also sole Executrix.
Written 18 April 1834, proved 3 Dec 1834
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 August 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
I have found your Mary's baptism: Mary Ann Stevens born 30 Dec 1801 but baptised march 1815 to William and Mary. No middle name for William but he is a musician, which seems too much of a coincidence so I think it's them. They gave their abode as Brighton, but the baptism was st Thomas the apostle, city of London.

Also found baptism records for Joshua semen Stevens at Berwick St. John, Wiltshire 24/6/1787. He is buried at st Mary Whitechapel, London, 7/3/1824. He married Elizabeth May and they had a child George Dec 1820 spitalfields, Stepney, London.

Also James monatgue Stevens baptised Berwick St. John 7/9/1789. He married Martha malpass but he was a widower at the time. Haven't found his first marriage. He is buried 12/9/1845 crowhurst, Surrey. He left a will leaving everything to his wife Martha. Says he was formerly a coach maker.

These two last baptisms were just to William and Mary Stevens but as Joshua has the middle name semen, I think it is right. Also, they married in Berwick St. John, so first children born there doesn't seem unreasonable. So now you have five of William and Mary's children! (Haven't seen an Ellen yet.)
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 August 17 13:10 BST (UK) »
You're amazing, thank you!  That does look very promising! 
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My daughter's family:  HAILEY, WAKEFIELD (=> NZ 1850s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 August 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
I was just now hunting for Ellen - the census gives a birth date range for her of 1817-1821, and Francis Worral, who I thought she might be sister to, said he was the youngest in the family, born around 1806.  So she may be a niece?
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 August 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
Yes and as Mary would have been 51-54 by the time Ellen was born, it's unlikely that they are mother and daughter.
and

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 August 17 13:25 BST (UK) »
So, that baptism for Mary Ann is the one I'm seeing on FamilySearch at St Thomas Apostle in London?    You'll be seeing a fuller version of the record  :-)

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 August 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
Yes. You'd need to subscribe to ancestry to see that, if you want a copy of the image, you could pay £9.99 and you get to see twelve pages or for £13.99 you can get a month's subscription.
and

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 August 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
You'd need to subscribe to ancestry to see that, if you want a copy of the image, you could pay £9.99 and you get to see twelve pages or for £13.99 you can get a month's subscription.

Free access this weekend apparently.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=777438.msg6312592

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 August 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
You'd need to subscribe to ancestry to see that, if you want a copy of the image, you could pay £9.99 and you get to see twelve pages or for £13.99 you can get a month's subscription.

Free access this weekend apparently.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=777438.msg6312592

Even better!
and