Author Topic: Benjamin Sparrow died in Nottingham 1900  (Read 1682 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Sparrow died in Nottingham 1900
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 August 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
I wondered that too Rosie.

There is also this marriage in 1857

Benjamin Sparram 25 yrs and Sarah Thornewell 22 June 1857 Church - Gresley, Derbyshire
Father George Sparram.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 August 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
1861 2514 /71 /13

There is a Benjamin Sparom, 31 yrs married and a Coal Miner B Leicester and lodging in Alfreton.

Offline Pelago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 August 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies - the names Sparham and Sparrow appear to be interchangeable during this fellow's history. So the record in 1900 is Sparham, sorry I should have been more clear. I'll probably need to obtain that death certificate, but its quite possible this is not him at all.

I can't find a death record locally to his last "sighting" in 1858. The only reference is on his daughter's marriage cert in 1878, "father deceased" but this could possibly be wrong if he went AWOL years earlier.

Cornwall:Tremelling,Tyzzer,Furse,Whitford,Bedick,Hawke,Retalick;Derbys:Sparam;Dorset:Ford,Farr,Adams,Crew,Lim,Mullens;IoW:Williams;Norfolk:Burrell,Chester,Hagon,Powles,Jennis,Daines,Gedge,Hood,Pooley,Spalding,Spurrell,Ebbage,Minister,Rushmer;Norfolk/Suffolk:Clarke;Hunts/Cambs:Canwell,Simons,trewen,Childs;Derbys/Burton:Dawson,Thornewill,Dent,Street,Bagnall,Parker,Brearley,Brunt,Dicken,Astle,Boffey/Beaufoy,Grundy,Hardwick,Heap,Ratclife;Suffolk:Phillips,Chilver,Alderton,Blumfield,Pain,Rolfe,Shulver

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 August 17 11:34 BST (UK) »
Is that the right marriage?
What was his occupation?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 August 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
This might be the same man from 1861 and the death

1891 2687/59
 living in Radford, Nottingham birthplace N K

Benjamin G Sparham ( transcribed as Sparam) Coal Miner

Offline Pelago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 August 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, my Benjamin Sparram/Sparham/Sparrow was a miner.

He was married a) Mary Ann Sutton 1854 and b) Sarah Thornewill 1857 in Church Gresley, Derbyshire.

Cornwall:Tremelling,Tyzzer,Furse,Whitford,Bedick,Hawke,Retalick;Derbys:Sparam;Dorset:Ford,Farr,Adams,Crew,Lim,Mullens;IoW:Williams;Norfolk:Burrell,Chester,Hagon,Powles,Jennis,Daines,Gedge,Hood,Pooley,Spalding,Spurrell,Ebbage,Minister,Rushmer;Norfolk/Suffolk:Clarke;Hunts/Cambs:Canwell,Simons,trewen,Childs;Derbys/Burton:Dawson,Thornewill,Dent,Street,Bagnall,Parker,Brearley,Brunt,Dicken,Astle,Boffey/Beaufoy,Grundy,Hardwick,Heap,Ratclife;Suffolk:Phillips,Chilver,Alderton,Blumfield,Pain,Rolfe,Shulver

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 August 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Burial of Benjamin Sparham in 1900 was at one of Nottingham Cemeteries on 5 June 1900, I don't know which cemetery it would have been either Basford, General or Church Rock Cemetery but can have a look for you when I'm next in Nottingham Archives maybe later this week or next week but don't think it will tell you if it's your Benjamin as you have lost him from 1858 but you never know.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 August 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
I wonder does anyone have access to burial records for this death? I've been trying to locate the ancestor of this name who appears to have gone missing from records after 1857. He was from the Burton area, so Nottingham is not an unlikely place for him to end up, and was born around 1831.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Where do you have Benjamin before the 1857 marriage? I cannot see one from the Burton area.
The only one  I can see is Benjamin b Heage, Derbyshire.
There are several trees which also have this man as the one who marries in 1857.

I posted one earlier for 1861 - a married Benjamin lodging in Alfreton b Leicester.

I also posted 1891 where there is a Benjamin living in Radford. In that census he has a lodger Ruth Gledhill with her daughter Mabel.

1881 3344/59/9

Shows Benjamin Gleadle as Ruth's husband.

Her husband was actually Charles and there are various spellings. Ruth Rodgers married Charles Gleadle. They are not together in 1871.

I thought all this might have some significance if Benjamin was the one born in Derbyshire but may be not yours?