Author Topic: Well Street Sailors Home - Archives - Greenwich Maritime Museum- advice?  (Read 232 times)

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I am about to search the records of the Well Street Sailors Home in the archives at the Greenwich Maritime Museum and I would value any advice from someone who is familiar with the records.

I have on my Tree an Archimedes Jones 1816 - 1900 born in Jamaica. He first appears in England in the Well Street Sailors Home in 1851 as a seaman and cook. He remained in England until his death and seems to have worked in the Sailors Home as a senior steward until 1891

The records are quite extensive and are not digitised and will have to searched manually.

It feels like I am about to look for a needle in a haystack  :(

If anyone has experience using the records I would be grateful for advice

Thank you

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Well Street Sailors Home - Archives - Greenwich Maritime Museum- advice?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 17 07:41 BST (UK) »
Did you manage to find what you were looking for, any tips to pass on.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.