Author Topic: HMS Duke of Edinburgh records and photos 1914-18  (Read 701 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HMS Duke of Edinburgh records and photos 1914-18
« on: Monday 21 August 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find further information about my grandfather's service during WW1 on board HMS Duke of Edinburgh. He was a private in the RMLI (Plymouth Division) at the time. Although I have traced his service record and attestation pack that detail his formal record in the marines, I still know very little about the time he spent on board this ship. He was embarked at the time war broke out and he left in early 1918 to form the 4th Bn for the Zeebrugge raid.

Unfortunately there are very few photos that exist of him - my grandmother destroyed them when he died. I do know that he was a keen musician/bugler and a member of the ship's bands that he served on. I have seen a few photos of ship's bands in recent times and wonder whether this would be a good route to pursue... Ultimately, I suppose the question is where do I go to find out more about this particular ship?

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Matt

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Duke of Edinburgh records and photos 1914-18
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 August 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. There is certainly a lot of general information in the second link that I have previously had a good browse through.