Author Topic: William Duke b.1827 Walcot, Bath  (Read 797 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William Duke b.1827 Walcot, Bath
« on: Monday 21 August 17 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi peeps

There are some military discharge papers on FindMyPast for this chap, but they don't give details of parents, and I can't find the family in Walcot on the 1841 census.

Can anyone find me a baptism, please, or the family in 1841?

Thanks
STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Duke b.1827 Walcot, Bath
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 August 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
The only 1861 entry shows birthplace North Curry and birthyear 1825

Who did he marry?  What was his fathers name on the marriage cert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 August 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
Don;t think yuo'll find much record of him on censuses after 1851. he was on home duties after joining up in 1847, until 1854, then  spent about 6 months in Gibraltar, 18 months in the Crimea then 11 years in Canada, until is permanent discharged as an invalid in 1867, future planned residence Toronto. He was described as suffering from paralysis and had some sort of fit or stroke that nearly killed him. there are references in the descirption of his illness and care to treatments with strychnine and mercury, and his having sores, I'

Although born Walcot he joined up in Middlesex, so potentially moved to London at some point?

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
Don;t think yuo'll find much record of him on censuses after 1851. he was on home duties after joining up in 1847, until 1854, then  spent about 6 months in Gibraltar, 18 months in the Crimea then 11 years in Canada, until is permanent discharged as an invalid in 1867, future planned residence Toronto. He was described as suffering from paralysis and had some sort of fit or stroke that nearly killed him. there are references in the descirption of his illness and care to treatments with strychnine and mercury, and his having sores, I'

Although born Walcot he joined up in Middlesex, so potentially moved to London at some point?

Yes I saw about the paralysis and treatments etc. :o  Also that he liked a drink ;) 

He's only a twig, so am thinking I'll turn my attentions to bigger trigs and put him aside.

Thanks for trying to help.

STG

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 09:46 BST (UK) »

Who did he marry?  What was his fathers name on the marriage cert?

No idea if he married or not, or if he did whereabouts on his travels around the world with the army it might have been.

STG

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
An Ancestry tree has him marrying in Canada in 1860, and dying in 1867 soon after his discharge - but no evidence to support