Author Topic: Trying to find what happened to James Lawson!  (Read 4309 times)

Offline auntya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find what happened to James Lawson!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi DB,

I'm so grateful for all the info & advice you've given. This evening is going to be spent reading through everything and sending emails to the various links.

Want to try and find out as much as I can about James Lawson.

Regards
Andrea

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You're welcome. :)

There is a James Lawson in the Obituary and Death Index Database from the London/Middlesex
Family History age 66 d. 1949, which makes it possible it is him and possible that there is indeed
an obituary. The fee through them is $5.00 for a copy of the obit. I'd try the library first though.
https://londonmiddlesex.ogs.on.ca/obituaries.html

DB

Offline auntya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

DB - London Room got back to me very promptly with an image of James' obit (so once again thanks for the link & advice).
It doesn't give me much more info but it does mention the Funeral 'residence' where he was 'resting', which is still in existence, so I've emailed them asking if they archive their records.

So, I have another couple of questions (0h no! Not again I hear you say)!

Would St Peters Cemetery be able to tell me who purchased James' plot & headstone?
Also, as I don't know whether Canada is the same as the UK, is there a way of checking to see if he left a will or not. I'm wondering, if he did, that it could possibly give me details of wife, children etc?

Sorry for all the questions! If only I lived in Canada!

Andrea

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 August 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Wow, that was quick from the London Library, two thumbs up for them. In the obit did it mention
anything about visitation hours/times?

Not sure what St. Peter's has in connection with burial information. Best to email them. Was
James Catholic? St. Peter's is the only Catholic cemetery in London. He was in a military hospital
when he died and he has a military headstone. It's a possibility that his burial and headstone was
through the Canadian military.

Wills would be available through Ontario Archives by county. London is Middlesex county.
The explanation is here, then scroll down to Estate Files 1931-1970.
http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/microfilm/surrogate_court_middlesex_t.aspx#estate2

DB

Offline auntya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 August 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

There's no mention in the obit of visitation times!

Yes, James was Catholic. Well, as far as I know. He was married in the Catholic Church in Ayr, Scotland!

I beginning to wonder, because of the military hospital & headstone. Could he have been, shall I say, 'down on his luck'! Did the Canadian military run some sort of charitable trust? Was it the norm for anyone who had served in WW1 to be treated in a military hospital later in life?

Thanks for the link for the wills/estates. I think I might leave that for now (as I've a sneaking suspicion that there probably isn't one).

I feel bad asking you good people again but does anyone have access to the online Canadian census.
Reading through James' army papers he arrived back in Montreal in March 1919 so hopefully he would appear in the 1921 census  (he was born 1883 Scotland)!
If I can help anyone who has connections to Scotland Im more than happy to try and assist.

Once again many thanks for all the help.

Andrea

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 August 17 01:52 BST (UK) »
Someone may correct me but I don't believe he would have had to be 'down on his luck' to be cared for at the Westminster military hospital. And it is my understanding that every vet is entitled to have a military headstone.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline auntya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 August 17 07:37 BST (UK) »
PB

So sorry if I have offended you or anyone - it was by no way intentional.

A number of my ancestors/family fought and gave their lives and the few that made it 'home' with both physical and mental scars never received care form a military hospital in later life or have a headstone in the UK!

Badly chosen phrase on my part. Please accept my apology

Andrea

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 August 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
Goodness, your comments seemed perfectly logical to me. I was in no way offended  :).

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline auntya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 August 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
Phew, Thank you :)

After asking about a military charitable trust I suddenly remembered something I'd jotted down in connection with another branch of my family (who also ended up in Canada). One of them was also in the Canadian army (WW1) and when he died in the 1950's the funeral home records stated his headstone was ordered by the Last Post Fund!
Does anyone know anything about this fund?

Andrea