Author Topic: HARRIET MARTIN of Salehurst, Sussex  (Read 3654 times)

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HARRIET MARTIN of Salehurst, Sussex
« on: Monday 21 August 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
Can somebody help me please?

I am looking into the life of my Grandfather's [George Henry Willard] Father-in-law: SAMUEL MARTIN.
Samuel was born in Salehurst, Sussex c.1815, the son of HANNAH and JOHN MARTIN.  I would guess that his early life he became an Agricultural Labourer in and around the Parish of Salehurst, Sussex.  This occupation stayed with him throughout his life.

On 27th March 1835 at St Mary's Parish Church he married SOPHIA BAKER.  Over a few years Sophia gave birth to children at least six times: HARRIETT, HANNAH, JAMES, CHRISTIANA, JAMES AND THOMAS.

CHRISTIANA MARTIN married THOMAS WILLARD in 1871 and in June 1886 gave birth to my Grandfather: George Henry Willard.  I was born in 1946 and my Grandfather lived just 50 yards away from my family until he died in 1965.

From Census and Land Valuation Act records I know that in:
   1841 SAMUEL MARTIN with wife SOPHIA and children: HARRIOT, HANNAH and one THOMAS BAKER age 15-19yrs was living at Abbey Park Cottages, Salehurst.
   1851 SAMUEL MARTIN with wife SOPHIA and children: HARRIETT, HANNAH, JAMES, CHRISTIANA, JAMES ARCHER [Broth-in-law], THOMAS ARCHER [Nephew] and LYDIA ARCHER [Niece], was still living at Abbey Park Cottages, Salehurst.
   1861 SAMUEL MARTIN with wife SOPHIA and children: JAMES, CRISTEY MARTIN [Christiana] and HARRY or HARRIETT MARTIN age 4yrs, living at Parks Pond, Cripps Corner, Ewhurst, Sussex.

In 1962 at Salehurst, Samuel's wife SOPHIA MARTIN nee BAKER passed away.

On 7th May 1865 at Ewhurst, Sussex SAMUEL MARTIN [Widower] married HARRIET SEYMORE [a widow]

In 1871 SAMUEL MARTIN with wife HARRIET and son HENRY age 14yrs are living at the Pesthouse, Poppinghole Lane, Salehurst,  At the same house are ELIZABETH WILLARD and sons: HENRY, THOMAS and GEORGE.  Elizabeth is related to Samuel Martins daughter Christiana who married Thomas Willard.

I am trying to find out the history of Samuel Martin's second wife: Harriet Seymore (?), but in all of the records I have looked at there are so many Samuel Martin's marrying a Harriet Seymore or similar that I now have a mental block.  Harriet's surname has varied from: SEYMORE to SEYMOOR, SEYMOUR, SEGMORE and SEXMORE, obviously transcription issues sometimes, but I am not sure even then if I have got the right person assuming that each of the transcribed names point to one particular person.  Also how can I learn what her maiden name was?

SAMUEL MARTIN aged 71yrs died in 1886
Any ideas, suggestions, clues would be appreciated.  Apologies for the essay!!

Marriage Registration Records at Battle, Sussex for 1865, Vol 2b Page 68 for both.

Many thanks

Roy Willard

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HARRIET MARTIN of Salehurst, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
I like essays!
If you haven't already discovered it then you will find this site interesting
http://www.mandywillard.co.uk/

Doesn't the 1865 marriage record for Samuel and Harriet give names of both fathers?   That should give Harriet's maiden name.  It is easily found on www.freebmd.org.uk  (ref June 1865 Battle 2B  68)  so you could order the certificate, though the church register should give the same details.  I see from the 1871 census that Harriet is much older than Samuel so born c1802.  Have you looked for her as Seymore and variants in earlier census records?

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Harriet is elusive I agree.   There is a possible burial in Salehurst for her in 1873 aged 71 which would fit with the 1871 census when she is 69.

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Sillgen

Thank you for replying, I was aware of a HARRIET MARTIN dying in 1871 and I am sure that you are right, the location and dates tie in.
The problem that sort of baffles me is that when HARRIET SEYMORE married SAMUEL MARTIN in 1865 she was a widow from a previous marriage.  It could be that her maiden name was WILLS or WELLS.

I am not in a position to keep on buying: Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates, I have done that for some members of my family (Willards) but at nine or ten pounds a time for sheet of paper becomes rather expensive.

As a result I have used other sources, in particular Newspaper reports from the 19th and early 20th Century, for me that has been very informative and pleasing, I have learnt about the Willards and other families (from the Salehurst-Robertsbridge area of Sussex) that have interested me, even records of my father that I was unaware of.

Thanks again
Roy

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
Sillgen
I should have put 1873 not 1871 for date of death re HARRIET MARTIN
Best regards
Roy

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
The marriage is indexed on FamilySearch, taken from mf 1067150.

The Ewhurst marriage registers, 1754-1881, are on mf 1067149

1067150 includes banns
Samuel Martin, Widower +
Harriet Seymore, Widow
Banns called 23, 30 April, 7 May

So that is a banns record they have indexed.
Two pages, 108 + 109, in the marriage register are missing on the digital images on FamilySearch.
They could well have been missed by the microfilm technician when originally filming the register.
Page 110 has the marriage of Joseph Alexander + Elizabeth Maria Eldridge, 27 May.
In the GRO indexes this is June qtr 1865, 2b 69.
Samuel Martin and Harriet Seymore are indexed on page 68.

Ewhust BT's include marriages up to 1868, but there appears to be nothing sent from Ewhurst for 1865.

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,

I descend from the Williams family of the Salehurst/Robertsville area.

I'd appreciate information on the "other sources" you've used (newspapers etc) particularly any that are available on line.

Thanks.  Jann

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Jann

I cannot tell you the websites on 'Rootschat', this site has protocols that I respect and have to follow.

I can give you my email address and if you wish to contact me then please do so. 

I was born in Robertsbridge in 1946, I married and moved to Hastings in 1974 after I built my house.  My parents lived in Robertsbridge until they passed away in 1997-98.  I still visit the village to see my three aunts (my Dad's sisters), they are aged 82yrs, 89yrs and 95yrs.

You can write to me at: (*) or (*)

Look forward to hearing from you
Roy

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail addresses removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
On 7th May 1865 at Ewhurst, Sussex SAMUEL MARTIN [Widower] married HARRIET SEYMORE [a widow]

This is the last calling of the banns.
You could order up the marriage certificate here
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

If you do, let us know how you get on.