Author Topic: Looking for living relatives in Orange/Kern Counties, CA, USA Family names White  (Read 492 times)

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My name is Morag White and I live in Scotland. I am a member of the Scottish Military Research Group who seek, record and photograph war graves and memorials throughout Scotland.
I discovered the grave of a WW1 Canadian soldier who died in a Military Hospital in England in 1919 and was buried in a churchyard on the west coast of Scotland. His grave is marked by a Commonwealth War Graves Commission gravestone.
His name was William Henry White and he was a private in Canadian Infantry (21st Reserve Battalion). He was born in Alberta, Canada in September 1897.
Not much was known locally about William or his family, until my husband and I decided to research his background. We then thought we would try to let his living family know about their relative, who is buried in an ancient churchyard very far from home.
His mother was Flora Sinclair and his father was Elijah B White. Flora was born in a town not far from William’s grave but the family moved to Alberta, Canada, where William joined the army during the First World War. Flora later moved to Taft, Kern County, CA., where she died in 1949.
William had two brothers, John Stewart White (born 1895 in Scotland, died 1945 in Taft, Kern County, CA)  and Milton Sinclair White (born 1903 in Alberta, Canada, died 1984 in Bakersfield, Kern County, CA).
John had two daughters, Evelyn White (born 1921, died 2008 in Orange County, CA), who married Frank H Gressett (born 1921, died 1963), and Lorraine Alice White (born 1924, died 1987), who married Daniel LeRoy McCarthy (born 1918, died 1972).
Evelyn and Frank had two daughters,
(*) Gressett (born 1944), and
(*) Gressett (born 1946).
I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who may know of this family, so that I may contact them and tell them the story of William and his Scottish family.
Thanks for reading and hopefully some info will come to me.
Morag.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Fraser, McNay, Maxwell, McKnight, Gray, Greenshields