Author Topic: FTM 2017  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FTM 2017
« on: Tuesday 22 August 17 01:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I hope this is in the right place?
I have my tree in FTM2008, I hadnt synced in to Ancestry since about 2009, but would now like to as I've just had DNA test done.
I know FTM2008 will no longer sync, so I paid for FTM2017.
I have imported my tree from the 2008 version, but it won't upload to Ancestry! I just get an error message.
I have been on the Live Chat support site for a total now of 7 hours over the weekend and this evening; they have had me doing back up after back up, disabling anti virus software and firewalls and doing a complete Windows 'clean boot' which involved disabling all my start ups. Still nothing....
Finally told the bloke I had to go to bed as I have work in the morning; he told me to contact them again tomorrow... So frustrated.
Anyone had similar? TIA

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: FTM 2017
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 07:33 BST (UK) »
Can we take it that you have a current Ancestry subscription?

REgards

Malky

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 08:19 BST (UK) »
I do, yes.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 09:32 BST (UK) »
In "File" at the bottom is it showing "Go online" or "Go offline"?

Regards

Malky

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
Someone else may have another explanation!

As I understand it

You have paid for and downloaded the 2017 Version of FTM from MacVie (who now own FTM and all earlier versions by Ancestry have been discontinued)

MacVie have an arrangement to allow "sync" to continue as long as Ancestry sub is continued.

You have a subscription to Ancestry - I suspect the 2008 version of FTM is no longer compatable.

Can you not download your current tree from Ancestry to FTM 2017 as a new tree ?

Kim

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
I read it that Bearcub has their tree on FTM not on Ancestry, so needs to upload that to Ancestry first before they can download it to FTM 2017.

Will it work if you download the tree as a Gedcom from FTM 2008 and import that into 2017, then sync that with Ancestry? Or is that what you've been trying to do?

" MacVie have an arrangement to allow "sync" to continue as long as Ancestry sub is continued."

It will only sync with the 2017 version, not with any early ones.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. Sorry I'm not explaining very well - my fault, I'm tying myself up in knots and I'm not the most IT literate person at the best of times.

Groom is correct. Whilst I do have a tree on Ancestry, it is woefully out of date and contains errors. I have been working on my tree in FTM2008 and it is much more accurate. I want to transfer this tree to Ancestry.

I know that I can no longer transfer direct from FTM 2008, so I have uploaded it into FTM2017. That seems to have worked ok. However, when I try to sync it to Ancestry from there I just get an error message along the lines of "unable to export data due to a process issue".

I cannot figure out why it won't upload and neither (it would appear) can the people on Maciev Live Chat.

I suspect that I will have done something wrong along the line, but not sure what!

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry Groom; just realised I didn't actually answer your question. I'm not sure how I download the FTM2008 as a Gedcom or whether that is what I have done? I saved it as a backup and it has a file end .ftmb?
That appears to have uploaded into FTM2017 ok, but won't sync with Ancestry.
How would I upload it as a gedcom?
Sorry if I'm being thick...

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
Try opening Ancestry and then open TREES, at the bottom of the list you should have Create and Manage Trees, click that. At the bottom of the next page you should have Create a New Tree or Upload a Gedcom File. Click the Upload and see if you can then upload the file you saved into that.

I'm not really sure if the backup you made is a Gedcom file or just a back up, I'm sure someone will know though. If it's just a back up you may have to go back to the 2008 tree and export it as a Gedcom, I'm sure somewhere it will give that option.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk