Author Topic: Henry Thomas Barrett (HT Barrett)  (Read 619 times)

Offline Hussar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Thomas Barrett (HT Barrett)
« on: Tuesday 22 August 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for a photo of my grandfather 7166 Pte HT Barrett of the 1st Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment. I have looked every where but without success. Any advice gladly received,
Barrett - West Berkshire
Dyer - West Surrey
Palmer - Berkshire & London
Styles - Surrey

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Thomas Barrett (HT Barrett)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 14:06 BST (UK) »
As one of those who went to war right at the beginning, the likelihood of a group photo being in the collection at The Wardrobe in Salisbury  (not too far from you) is higher than it might otherwise be.  Well worth a phone call asking if they have photos arranged by battalion and date that you could look at on a visit.  http://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/research.

Have you included the local newspapers in your search?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
Henry Barrett is named on the Newbury war memorial - my take on his life story is http://westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk/texts/stories/WBP01206S.php.  I would welcome comments/corrections/enhancements.

I have been unable to find a photograph - local papers were largely photograph free apart from the Reading Standard - where he seems not to feature. The Wardrobe has an online 'Soldier search' that finds men's photos - I don't know how complete this is, but Henry Barrett does not appear.

If a photo is found I'd love a copy!

His name is also on the memorial to the fallen members of the Newbury Congregational church - following the closure of the successor church (URC) the memorial has been relocated to Newbury Town Hall, where it is readily accessible on Saturday mornings when the main doors are open. It is easy enough to view it at other times during normal office hours (I can arrange this if you ever head this way).
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Hussar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 August 17 06:22 BST (UK) »
I am grateful for all the info, some which was new to me. I never saw my grandfather but can only assume he looks some what like his brothers. Many thanks,
Hussar
Barrett - West Berkshire
Dyer - West Surrey
Palmer - Berkshire & London
Styles - Surrey