Author Topic: GLOVER GEORGE/JANE NEVENS  (Read 1558 times)

Offline smicker59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GLOVER GEORGE/JANE NEVENS
« on: Tuesday 22 August 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi  would be grateful for some help with George Glover... I have him married in Drumragh Tyrone to Jane Nevens on 16 Sep 1861  I have his death as Belfast 17 Jun 1901 but don't have a birth  :'(  I also don't know anything about Jane Nevens except they had a son called James and a daughter Sarah Jane also a son Joseph
Thank you

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: GLOVER GEORGE/JANE NEVENS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 18:04 BST (UK) »
Where did you get his death date from?  Is no age shown for him at the time of death?

Have you found him on the 1901 Irish Census - free to search here

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline smicker59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, Got his death date from burial records.  I think about 1838 just cant find an actual reference to that or a place of birth

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 19:42 BST (UK) »
If he only died in June 1901 he should be on the Irish 1901 census - see link above

Do you know if Jane was still alive in 1901?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi  would be grateful for some help with George Glover... I have him married in Drumragh Tyrone to Jane Nevens on 16 Sep 1861  I have his death as Belfast 17 Jun 1901 but don't have a birth  :'(  I also don't know anything about Jane Nevens except they had a son called James and a daughter Sarah Jane also a son Joseph

Civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate.

Is this the correct George Glover in 1901 census? born in Fermanagh & Presbyterian-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Pottinger/Harvey_Street/1262210

I can't see a death for a George Glover anywhere in Ireland in 1901  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
The couple’s marriage certificate should tell you a little more about them, including father’s names for example. You can view the original certificates on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.

Daughter Sarah was born 7.11.1864 in Market St. Omagh. See:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03596/2325985.pdf

James was born 4.2.1867 at Abbey St, Omagh.
Joseph was born 9.1.1869 in Lisnaskea.

George was a Presbyterian. His birth was long before the start of statutory birth registration so you would need to search church records. That might involve a trip to PRONI in Belfast to go through Presbyterian records held there.  The fact that George was in Lisnaskea in 1869 is perhaps a hint as to where he came from in Fermanagh. The two nearest Presbyterian churches to Lisnaskea are Cavanaleck (baptisms start 1853) and Maguiresbridge (baptisms from 1860). So if that’s where he originated you may not find any record of his birth.

There is a George Glover death, aged 63, on the GRONI site for 7.6.1901 and that’s matched by a burial in the City Cemetery which gives Harvey St as his address. Also buried there was Mary Ann Glover on 19.8.1891 aged 44. The death certificate describes her as wife of George Glover a shoemaker. Her age there was 42. Address was 29 Blackstaff Rd. So did George marry twice? (I see a death for a Jane Glover in Lisnaskea on 16.10.1874 aged 33).

3 more children to George & Jane:

Margaret 6.1.1870, William 18.4.1872 & Charlotte Elizabeth 6.4.1874. All born in Lisnaskea.

I noted a William Glover in Brookborough who was also a shoemaker. He was married to Catherine Maguire, and they had some children around the same time, registered in Lisnaskea.

Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:55 BST (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 21:01 BST (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
George Glover born 1884- parents George (shoemaker) & Mary Ann (maiden name Fair)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1884/02705/1996049.pdf