Author Topic: Dick Parks - first owner of the Atlantis Bar in Clydebank  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Lizalex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dick Parks - first owner of the Atlantis Bar in Clydebank
« on: Tuesday 22 August 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone help me with any information about Dick Parks? I believe that he was the first owner of the Atlantis Bar. After he died, (I am not sure when), his wife, Leni, (now also deceased), married my uncle, Jim Ballantyne. They lived for a while in the flats in Radnor Street, Clydebank, then moved to Brunei to work and live before retiring in Cairns, Australia. Dick and Leni had a daughter, Margaret, who went to Clydebank High School with me. She also went to Australia.

I know that Leni was German, but that is all.

Thanks.
Ballantyne, Young, Allan, Thommeny, Masterton,

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Dick Parks - first owner of the Atlantis Bar in Clydebank
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Scotlandspeople has a marriage Richard James Park / Leni Frieda Schwan 1947 , Service Returns.

Your uncle married Leni in 1968.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
SP also has a death for a Richard James Park , age 39 , 1961 , Old or West Kilpatrick Dunbarton.

Birth Richard James Park 1922 , Camlachie Lanark.

ev

Added -
https://paradata.org.uk/article/50194/related/50234
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Lizalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 18:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Ev. I am really grateful for that. I have searched for them for ages now with absolutely no success.

I know about the paradata information - as my uncle's sole remaining relative, I had to give permission for it to be printed.

Liz

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 August 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
I may be wrong but I seem to recall that there was a bit of a controversy about the issuing of a license, before that pub opened. Mr Park was a Councillor at the time, but the man behind the scene was a publican called Frank Gunn

Offline Lizalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 August 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
I have a vague recollection of there being something difficult at the time - it was probably all written up in The Clydebank Press, but I didn't really know the family until Leni married my uncle, and I wasn't old enough at the time to have been really interested in what was happening. It does ring a bell, though and I also seem to think that Leni had difficulties taking her share out of the business after he died, but once again, I was not party to all of that. Thanks for posting it, though - brings back memories!
Liz