Author Topic: Help with identifying Alexander Renny  (Read 620 times)

Offline riogirl71

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with identifying Alexander Renny
« on: Tuesday 22 August 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
I believe the gentleman (Alexander Renny 1854-1919 born and died in Arbroath) on the photo taken in Buenos Aires, Argentina is the same one that is sitting down on the group photo with his sons. Any feedback on if it is the same person?  Any guesses as to when the Buenos Aires photo was taken?

Thanks!!!!

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Help with identifying Alexander Renny
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
I'm guessing the first picture with all of them is the 1900s - guessing from the turned down collars with rounded corners.

Did the boy's mother die about that time?  Just guessing from the photo the 'father' is holding - or a sister maybe.

The second, with the man, alone could be the 1880s maybe . . . . but Jim will know!  ;)

Wiggy   :)

p.s.   Are you able to post the backs of the photos - showing corners as well - don't have to be huge.? - that will help those-who-know with a date
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat Riogirl...I would be inclined to agree Wiggy....with about 20 years between the two photos...but as you say...Jim will be more accurate.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 11:34 BST (UK) »
Quick enhancement and spot clean for the first photo.
I think the two men are the same.
Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
And the second. Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Something a bit different, riogirl. I've tried to squeeze out enough detail to give you a picture of the woman in the photo Alexander is holding. Not a great success - it's still distorted and blurry - but it gives some idea of her appearance - very pretty, I think. Cheers, Peter.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
If the second photo is taken early 1900'sI might be a photo of Alexanders Wife, Margaret Anderson that he is holding;

Margaret Anderson RENNY
birth: 1858   
death: 24 February 1904   
burial: 1904, Arbroath, Angus, Scotland
(Source Familysearch.Org)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
Good one Trish    ;)   If we are right! 

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.