Author Topic: Mary Richards - Pid or Pitt Parade, Epsom.  (Read 637 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Richards - Pid or Pitt Parade, Epsom.
« on: Tuesday 22 August 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
Mary, (1776-1846) and her family are shown, in the 1841 census, as residing at Pid Parade, Church St., Epsom. I see from the Epsom Heritage Site a contemporary watercolour of Pitt Parade, a house close to  St. Martins of Tours Church. (Her husband, Edward Richards, was the Curate here for many years).
 Was there a name-change of the location or is it just a mistake? I would like to attribute the house in the painting to their branch of my family tree ... just a small doubt about the name.

Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Richards - Pid or Pitt Parade, Epsom.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 19:11 BST (UK) »
Looking at that 1841 image, I see it says "Parade" next to the Richards household, and it looks to me like Pit Place against the previous entries. 
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Richards
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
 On the old map that I've seen there is "The Parade" which is a crescent shaped road on the opposite side of Church St. A clue that I have as to the Pitt Parade house in the painting as being the correct residence for the family is that in the Will of Mary Richards she bequeaths, "the paddock and stables at the side of the house". In the early maps Pitt parade is the only residence with anything resembling a paddock and in the painting you can see the church in the close background.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Richards - Pid or Pitt Parade, Epsom.
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:44 BST (UK) »
 I've found a more detailed map from 1840. It shows the house as being close to the church and the paddock area as Pit Place. There is also a farm nearby called Pit Place farm. (Mary also mentions a farm in her will). I can now safely show their residence as the house in the painting. (Mary was the sister of Sir Henry Bridges, Knight). Her will is six pages of closely written words!
                           Thank you for your help.