Author Topic: Coloured photos downloaded now showing as black and white  (Read 756 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Coloured photos downloaded now showing as black and white
« on: Tuesday 22 August 17 19:35 BST (UK) »
I've not been on here for a few months and now I'm back I'm starting with a problem that needs solving  :-[

Whilst on holiday I took some photos with my mobile 'phone (which I often do) and when I downloaded them to my laptop via the memory stick all was well.  Then the problem started.  Originally the thumbnail photos were in colour but when I opened them they were black and white, now even the thumbnail photos are showing black and white.  How do I get the colour back?

Many thanks for anyone's ideas.

Lizzie

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coloured photos downloaded now showing as black and white
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Are other photos still in full colour? If you download a colour photo from the w.w.w. does it come out in colour. If you use coloured text is that in colour?  Which windows edition? Is the screen in full colour etc?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
What prog are you using to view them. Also, do you still have copies on the stick?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:33 BST (UK) »
Are they jpeg ones?

Can you post a picture on here so we can see the colours?

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
Does this come out and stay in full colour? when saved to your laptop?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry I didn't get any notifications of replies. 

1.  When I originally saved the photos they were jpg and I opened them with Irfanview.

2.  I'm still opening them with Irfanview but the thumbnails are black and white instead of coloured so, naturally, they open in black and white. 

3.  Yes, when I save Colours Ready it remains coloured when I open it.

4.  Unfortunately, I haven't got the copies on the stick.  I take photos on the phone and then transfer them directly to a larger memory stick which I take out of the 'phone and put into my laptop to transfer the photos. 

5.  If there is no remedy it doesn't really matter as we didn't have good weather on our holiday and I only took a few photos, mainly in Troyes showing the half timbered buildings so, although they were actually brown and white, black and white looks OK.

6.  My laptop was in intensive care last week and the computer bod managed to resuscitate it long enough for me to buy a new laptop and transfer all documents and files over etc. and my new laptop has bluetooth, so in future I'll transfer photos via bluetooth if that is preferable, although I've never had this problem before.  I wonder if the failing laptop caused the problem and now the photos are transferred to the new laptop they can't be changed.

Lizzie

ps.  I use Windows 10

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 09:03 BST (UK) »
So, was it after the images were transferred to your new laptop that they appeared as black and white?  If so, it sounds as if it was either the failing laptop (possibly a driver)  or something that went wrong in the transfer process.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget - still didn't get a notification even though I've ticked the appropriate box.  The images were coloured when transferred to my old laptop, but were black and white on opening, then the thumbnails went black and white on the old laptop, so I guess that's what got transferred to the new laptop.  It is only that one particular set of photos, all previous photos are correct.

The hard drive went on my old laptop, the computer bod was going to put a new one in and to do that he, apparently, had to clone the new drive with the old drive.  Anyway it wouldn't work, it kept getting half way through cloning and then stopping.  So I decided the best thing to do would be to buy a new laptop, especially as I have a lot of stuff that I didn't want to lose.  The old laptop was resurrected long enough for me to copy folders etc. to new laptop.  Then everything was cleared to revert back to manufacturer's default (plus my previous laptop from 4 years ago that had also died) and we gave them to our 10 year old grandson who is at a "technical" camp this week and required old PCs/laptops for him and the others at the camp to take apart to see how they work (or don't work in my case).

I'll not worry about these few photos for now, my husband took loads with his camera which he has downloaded to his notebook so he can always transfer a few to me if necessary.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Lizzie