Author Topic: Death of an Ebchester publican  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of an Ebchester publican
« on: Tuesday 22 August 17 21:49 BST (UK) »
In March 1948 the Station Hotel in Ebchester was totally destroyed by fire, killing the publican.  I have tried all normal resources to find out his identity with absolutely no success.  Can anyone suggest how I might find this information.  I have drawn a blank in press reports and burials in local grave yards and also in enquiries around the village.  Can anybody suggest how I might find his name

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Death of an Ebchester publican
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
If you don't know his name - what is your interest in him?

If there are no reports - how do you know the publican died in the fire?

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12333
https://lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=123839
https://en-gb.facebook.com/NewcastleChronicle/posts/1497247177034550
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
I am researching the history of the building and the one that replaced it after the devastating fire.  I have a more or less complete record now but I am missing the detail of his name to complete my story.  I have spoken to the owner of a business on the opposite side of the road and he remembers the story of the fire and the publican being killed but was too young to remember his name.  The businessman's father was a customer of the pub and had told him the story.  Others in the village confirmed the event but nobody can remember his name.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again

You probably know that the hotel was put up for sale in Nov 1943. It might narrow things down a little. Nothing in any of the newspapers that I've looked at for 1948 - not even a report of the fire, which is odd.   The Raven Hotel was for sale later that year.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 23:44 BST (UK) »
Two destroyed hotels!

I have found several auction notices for the sale of the hotel in 1943 but no results of the sale.  I have even contacted the agents who sold it but no response!  The businessman who lives opposite said William Nicholson was licensee for many years but he filed for bankruptcy in September 1957.  Assuming he took over the rebuilt hotel, that gives my unnamed landlord a 5 year period in which he could be there.  Actually less; auction was November 1943 and fire was March 1948 so 4 years and 4 months.  It is maddening - all I want is his name.

The Raven, which was close by, was a shabby little pub for many years but then was sold comparatively recently and developed into a really nice residential hotel and vastly increased in size.  After a few years it was sold to a property developer who wanted to build houses on its extensive grounds.  He failed to get planning permission and the land is a mess now because he demolished the hotel and nothing came of his plans.

Elliven

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
Whilst I can accept the fire may not have been reported - I find it strange that there is no report if somebody died. 

I have spoken to the owner of a business on the opposite side of the road and he remembers the story of the fire and the publican being killed but was too young to remember his name.  The businessman's father was a customer of the pub and had told him the story.

I wonder if it was just that - an embellished story told to a little boy

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 00:26 BST (UK) »
Try the site below. It gives a name to the building which caught fire but again no name of the victim.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12333

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
I might have agreed with you but the same story crops up in too many places to be that.  In addition, "the landlord died in the fire" is hardly embellished - it could be an outright lie but it has been told too many times in too many places for that.  Sadly, the people who witnessed it are either dead or no longer capable of remembering.  In any event there is no doubt that the building was totally destroyed and it was a very substantial building (see picture) so I see no reason to doubt that someone died in the fire.

Elliven

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks barryd but that is my post!

I have tried everywhere to find this man's name.  As you probably know, Ebchester is a small village and this was one of its biggest buildings - totally destroyed and one man dead and, like you, I have been unable to find a reference to it in the press.  The pub was auctioned at the end of November 1943 and the fire occurred in March 1948 so there was only a short time span for this landlord to be there.  I have tried the County Records Office to see who was licensee but no luck.  I think I will have to go back and concentrate my efforts.  I have even contacted the auctioneers from 1943 to see who bought it but they have not responded.

Elliven