Author Topic: John Boswood  (Read 3438 times)

Offline yumchadaily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Boswood
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 December 17 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Bob. Yes, that was his son, born to John and Fanny while he (the original John) was a constable at Jericho near Oatlands. Interesting that the son used an aka, though - it makes me wonder whether his father might ever have done that too in his early days. Everything I've found about him in Tasmanian records indicates that he was always Boswood once there, though.

Yes, I've found those of John and Fanny's records that are online, thanks. Also, all the documentation relating to the later taking into care of the grandchildren has now been digitised and made available online, including handwritten letters from the parents - what a treasure trove. Are you interested in John Boswood's life in Tasmania, or is it more the early life in England you're after? If you'd like more info on his life in Tasmania, I can send you a biographical essay I did recently for an online family history diploma I'm doing.

Regards,
Nanette

Offline astrablue4646

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanette

Yes I would be fascinated to see your essay. As well as seeing how they lived their lives any little clues as to where John came from will be helpful.

Bob

Offline astrablue4646

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janette

Just one more thing I have discovered. The name Boswell is almost exclusively a Romany/Gypsy name
and if John was a Boswell rather than a Boswood that may possibly explain why we cannot find a birth registration in UK. In the course of your research have you found any evidence of a Boswood who was experienced in wagon building or horse breeding?

Bob

Offline yumchadaily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Could you PM me your email address, Bob, and I'll send it as an attachment?
No, I haven't come across a horse-breeding or wagon-building Boswood, but I'll keep and eye out now in any research I do. Some of them were shearers, others farm labourers etc

Regards,
Nanette