Author Topic: Need help in deciphering entry in marriage index  (Read 765 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Need help in deciphering entry in marriage index
« on: Wednesday 23 August 17 08:00 BST (UK) »
The Familysearch marriage record for Janet Hall to Peter Inglis says:

Name     Peter Inglis   
Spouse's Name    Janet Hall Or Stewart     
Event Date     16 Oct 1849   
Event Place     Saint Cuthberts,Edinburgh,Midlothian,Scotland   
Spouse's Father's Name    James Hall

which I took to mean that Janet Hall had been previously married to a Mr Stewart.

But when I checked on SP:
HALL JANET OR STEWART//PETER INGLIS/FR2676 DAU 2 (FR2676) 16/10/1849 685/2  470 59  St Cuthbert's 

I've never seen "Dau 2" before. I've ordered some SP vouchers and am waiting for them to arrive but in the meantime - does anyone know what it means? Does "dau" stand for daughter?

Jan

England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Need help in deciphering entry in marriage index
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 08:14 BST (UK) »

Name     Peter Inglis   

which I took to mean that Janet Hall had been previously married to a Mr Stewart.

HALL JANET OR STEWART//PETER INGLIS/FR2676 DAU 2 (FR2676) 16/10/1849 685/2  470 59  St Cuthbert's 

I've never seen "Dau 2" before. I've ordered some SP vouchers and am waiting for them to arrive but in the meantime - does anyone know what it means? Does "dau" stand for daughter?

Jan
I've not seen that in a marriage record before, but yes, 'dau' normally means 'daughter'. If you look at the International Genealogical Index listing of this event, it says that her father was James Hall (this is quite normal in the Edinburgh parish marriage register) so taking the two together I read this as indicating that the original says she was the second daughter of James Hall.

As for the two surnames, a widow who remarries is usually listed by her maiden name in the marriage register. I haven't come across one being listed by her deceased husband's name before. However there is a family in the 1851 census at 3 North James Street, Edinburgh consisting of Peter Inglis, 30; wife Janet Inglis, 38; stepson William Stewart, 20; stepdaughter Janet Stewart, 16; and son John Inglis, 11 months. See https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl for a transcription.

Alexander Stewart and Janet Hall had at least 3 children: William, 1830; Janet, 1834; Margaret, 1840.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, you are brilliant ... again! Yes, Janet was the second daughter of James Hall and Janet Kemp. Her sister, Elizabeth also remarried as a widow - her entry said:

ALLAN ROBERT ELIZABETH HALL OR LAMOND FR2555 (FR2555)  25/09/1848 685/2  460 470  St Cuthbert's

so it seems the usual way of recording a second marriage.

Thanks also for reminding me about Freecen. I tried everything but couldn't get the 1851 census to come up on Anc. It will be my first port of call in future!

Jan

England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 17:54 BST (UK) »
I think it must be the 'usual' method of recording in Edinburgh only - I have not seen it anywhere else.

Yes, FreeCEN is infinitely superior to A******y. I just wish more of it were available. I've been transcribing for FreeBMD but maybe it's time to transfer to FreeCEN.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 August 17 01:10 BST (UK) »
If only they were all like Edinburgh - they're so detailed. The Elizabeth Hall one I mentioned before not only had the names of her father and previous husband, but also their occupations and addresses. :-)

FreeBMD is a great resource - thanks to wonderful people like you!
England:

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 August 17 01:49 BST (UK) »

Name     Peter Inglis   

I've not seen that in a marriage record before, but yes, 'dau' normally means 'daughter'. If you look at the International Genealogical Index listing of this event, it says that her father was James Hall (this is quite normal in the Edinburgh parish marriage register) so taking the two together I read this as indicating that the original says she was the second daughter of James Hall.

As for the two surnames, a widow who remarries is usually listed by her maiden name in the marriage register. I haven't come across one being listed by her deceased husband's name before. However there is a family in the 1851 census at 3 North James Street, Edinburgh consisting of Peter Inglis, 30; wife Janet Inglis, 38; stepson William Stewart, 20; stepdaughter Janet Stewart, 16; and son John Inglis, 11 months. See https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl for a transcription.

Thanks Forfarian....

My initial thought when I seen the index entry which I had never seen before but was curious (prior to reading replies) was that Janet was possibly illegitimate i.e. having both her parents surnames.

There's always plenty to learn in genealogy!

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"