Author Topic: Family leaving Scotland  (Read 3905 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Family leaving Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 August 17 08:08 BST (UK) »
The 1925 electoral register ( the last I can find James D and Florence listed on) finds them at 235 Moss Road, Govan. This area has been extensively redeveloped due to building of roads linking to the M8 motorway and most recently the building of Glasgow's new Queen Elizabeth Hospital. A few tenements ( numbered from 1 to 11) still survive on Moss Road, but I can't find any old photos to confirm if the housing was all similar to this.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 August 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
Found this photo which says it includes Moss Road. The area in the top right is the old Southern General Hospital which is where the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital is now located. I think the tenements to the bottom of the picture is Moss Road
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 August 17 10:43 BST (UK) »
The shipping of kids to Australia then wasn't entirely all milk & honey. In recent times the Oz PM apologised for the ill-treatment & abuse some of these kids suffered.

Skoosh.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 August 17 05:31 BST (UK) »
The shipping of kids to Australia then wasn't entirely all milk & honey. In recent times the Oz PM apologised for the ill-treatment & abuse some of these kids suffered.

Skoosh.

Yes, those children were child migrants ... their parents did not know they were being sent to Australia,  and our then Prime Minister offered the Apology back in 2009.   The COPLAND family, (mum, dad and 3 children) all migrated together and were not part of a program that separated families.   

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/110625/20091116-1801/www.pm.gov.au/node/6321.html

https://www.childmigrantstrust.com/media-and-books/oranges-and-sunshine

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 August 17 08:19 BST (UK) »
      My father's brother departed for Sydney on the "BORDA" on 12th Jan 1928.      He was one of five children and he was the oldest, so he was sent to Australia for "a better life".        I am 74, and I am not sure if my memory plays me a trick, but I think I can vaguely remember the advert.     It appeared on cinema screens between pictures, and might have been entitled "A Better Life", and encouraged parents to send their children there.       Times were hard - but this wasn't the real reason the government wanted kids sent out there.

Australia was under-populated and weak.      The UK wanted to build up the country to make it safer from any conflict that arose from an outside source.      That was why they were encouraging
families, as well as kids, to go.

Can you imagine the heartbreak of a boy of 17, standing on a ship waving his family goodbye, knowing that he would probably never see them again?        He had been brought up in a small place called Sandford, near Strathaven.      According to my father, it was a wonderful place to grow up, with great countryside, and lots of places for boys to explore....       

He never married and died alone in a Sydney hotel.       

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 August 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you majm,  Appreciate your input.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 August 17 00:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dodsie4, Very sad.  Glad our forebears came to Australia as a 'family'. Thank you for your help,
Now need to find whether they came out on a cheap fare or sponsored or ?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 August 17 01:53 BST (UK) »
How sad Doddsie...

A bit off topic but was your uncle forced to go?

I think the term 'better together' would fit the scenario, poor lad & to think governments still get away with untruths  :(

I find these things very disturbing, going back to the mid 1800s was similar with the clearances, being told they would have a 'better life'....not true but we won't go down that road  :'(

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 August 17 06:45 BST (UK) »
Annie, Glasgow Corporation used to send unwanted/homeless kids to be fostered out in the country in the 1920's. Some doubtless were reared as one of the family & prospered but others, very sadly, were regarded as skivvies & had a terrible life. They became the parents of folk still living so a touchy subject yet.

Skoosh.