Author Topic: help to track down relatives of Lethbridge airmen  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help to track down relatives of Lethbridge airmen
« on: Wednesday 23 August 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
I looking for help to track down the relatives of Alfred Alexander Simpson who was a Bombaimer on a Lancaster bomber shotdown 21 July 1944 and crashed in the vicinity of Mariaheide village in The Netherlands. Alfred Alexander Simpson was 29 years old when he died and was the son of Frederick John and Jissee Ann Simpson of Gisborne,Auckland.NZ and Husband of Gladys Simpson of Lethbridge,Alberta,Canada. I have the intention to erect a memorial near the spot next year.

Regards,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help to track down relatives of Lethbridge airmen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
Marriage notice (with photo) in the Lethbridge Herald on Aug 14 1943. 

It says on Aug 10, 1943 in Lethbridge, Miss Gladys Elsie Harvey, only daughter of Mr and Mrs F W Harvey married Sgt. Alfred Alexander Simpson RNZAF, son of Mr and Mrs F J Simpson of Gisborne, New Zealand.  Her brother is Mr William F Simpson Harvey*.  (middle initial could be P...hard to read).  No other family members are mentioned.  The groom was supported by LAC Lloyd Meston RCAF, of No 8 B and G.

RK

*oops... wrote the wrong last name.  Of course, her brother is William F HARVEY!!!  Should learn to proofread before I press "post" :P

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
You may already have this, and it doesn't help your search, but there is a few pictures, along with a photo of the entire crew lost, at http://www.aircrewremembered.com/whittington-harold.html

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hello contributors,

Many many Thanks for your reply Runkitty your reply was very usefull. Will see if I can get the Marriage notice from the Lethbridge Herald. Is it more helpfull that I put this topic on NZ research on Rootschat??

Yes Thanks bbart I already know the website of Aircrewremembered and have seen the pics. Also i am in touch with some other crew relatives where i obtained the pics from. Thanks again anyway.

Cheers,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 August 17 04:14 BST (UK) »
New Zealand Births Marriages and Deaths
https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Search/Search?Path=querySubmit.m%3fReportName%3dBirthSearch%26recordsPP%3d30#SearchResults

He had a sister Margaret May  b 1917 nz

I am home with the flu and cannot concentrate for long but here is a start.
 BMD New Zealand will be down on the  26 August 10 am till  27 August 11.30am.
A post on the New Zealand may help you. Put a link back to this post.

Carol80 (in New Zealand)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Rodo005

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 August 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

My name is Rod Simpson and Alfred Alexander, or Alec as he was known to his family, was my late uncle. Although my late father was his adopted brother, so I'm not a blood relative.  Unfortunately, I was not born prior to his death so I never knew him.

All his brothers and sister have all passed now.  His last remaining sister just recently. He has plenty of nieces, nephews and great nieces and nephews still in New Zealand. I don't know what became of his wife, but it appears she may have moved to the USA after his death.

I have always felt a connection with him as I served over 30 years in the RNZAF in an aircrew role aboard P-3 Orion aircraft.

I have attached some stuff I got from the RNZAF archives on Uncle Alec. I also have a couple of other documents that state similar things.

Please let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Rod

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 September 17 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Rod,  look also on my topic here  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=777653.0
looking foward to hear from you,
Regards,
Adrian

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 September 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Rod, and Welcome to Rootschat. :)

As you can see there are two threads for your Uncle, one here and one on the New Zealand board.
I have just posted on the NZ board to let them know you are here.

Cheers,
DB

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 September 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Rod, looking foward to hear from you,
Regards,
Adrian

I'm confused by that comment. You just heard from Rod. Perhaps you can tell Rod and us a bit
more about the memorial etc.

DB