Author Topic: Henry Crutchley/Crouchley Sharnbrook  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Crutchley/Crouchley Sharnbrook
« on: Wednesday 23 August 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Dear all,
I could really do with some eye-opener about Henry Crutchley (also called Crouchly sometimes)...
He marries Mary Smith (yay, great name, the most unfindable person in my tree) in Bedford on 5 Sep 1763. Their children are all baptised in Sharnbrook: Henry 1764, John 1767, John 1768, Jenny 1769, Joseph 1772 and Mary 1778. Henry then marries again in Bedford on 27 Aug 1786 to Ann Pearson, with whom he then has Joseph Pearson in 1787, also in Sharnbrook.
I have absolutely no idea where Henry was from, he is a dead end in my family tree. It would seem logical that Henry was from Sharnbrook, as he keeps having his children bapised there, though he goes to Bedford to find wives  ;)

<Oh, he seems to die in Bedford in January of 1827.> wrong info

Any help is much appreciated!
Regards,
Lexi.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Crutchley/Crouchley Sharnbrook
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 17:21 BST (UK) »

Oh, he seems to die in Bedford in January of 1827.

The Henry that dies in Bedford in 1827 was born 1787  ;D

Maybe your Henry died in Sharnbrook - burial 11 Apr 1787, no age given so could be his son Henry
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 18:03 BST (UK) »

Oh, he seems to die in Bedford in January of 1827.

The Henry that dies in Bedford in 1827 was born 1787  ;D

Maybe your Henry died in Sharnbrook - burial 11 Apr 1787, no age given so could be his son Henry

I must have mixed two trees up there... No death date for 'my' Henry anywhere to be found in the correct tree, so I have absolutely no idea where that piece of information got in ;-)

Who the 1787 born Henry is, no idea, because son Henry was born in 1764 and the one from 1787 was called Joseph Pearson. Might be a cousin? Or grandson?

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Could this perhaps be the marriage of 'my' Henry's parents?

Name   Hen Crutchley
Spouse's Name   Eliz Hall
Event Date   31 Aug 1740
Event Place   Felmersham,Bedford,England

(from familysearch)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Felmersham is less than 4 miles, two villages, away from Oakley. Could well be the right marriage
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 August 17 08:33 BST (UK) »
Not that this helps me in any way, because there still isn't a baptism for Henry junior in Felmersham either...

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 August 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Henry Crutchley was a widower, of Sharnbrook when he married Mary Smith on 5 Sept 1763 at Bedford St.Marys. Elizabeth, wife of Henry Crouchly was buried at Sharnbrook on 22 Apr 1763.

So the marriage at Felmersham on 31 Aug 1740 of Henry Crutchley to Elizabeth Hall was his previous marriage. I cannot see any baptisms for children of Henry & Elizabeth.

So when did wife Mary (ne Smith) Crutchley get buried ? There is a burial of Mary Crutchley, widow, poor, at Sharnbrook on 4 Mar 1776  but haven't found a prior burial of Henry; plus there's a baptism of daughter Mary in 1778. So perhaps that is not her.

There is a burial of Mary Crutchley, widow at Sharnbrook on 9 July 1812. So I now assume her husband Henry is the one buried there on 11 Apr 1787.   

As to the marriage of Henry Crutchly to Ann Pearson at Bedford St.Peters on 27 Aug 1786. This does not say that Henry is a widower, plus it says that he was of Goldington. Also why would they baptise a son Joseph Pearson in 1787 when he already had a son Joseph in 1772. It may be that this Henry is the one baptised in 1764 as his sister Jenny (1769) married James Lightfoot of Clapham on 28 Dec 1790 at Goldington. I'm having another spot of deja vu !     
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 August 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Right, I had to read your post a couple of times to get round to who was who. But I think I've figured it out.

All that information on folks being widows or widowers or where they were from, that's not on familysearch, so a big help figuring out who's who and who married whom.

So you're thinking Henry Crutchley of Sharnbrook married 1) Elizabeth Hall in 1740, without offspring, and 2) Mary Smith in 1763. It is a whopping 23 years later, so he must have been well into his forties by the time of that second marriage. But it does sound plausible. We still don't know where he was from, but I'd say he would have been born around 1715. If he is indeed the one who dies in 1787, he would be in his mid-seventies, to again still very plausible.

The issue with the son Henry of 1764, yes it could very well be him that marries Ann Pearson in 1786, it is in any case a very convincing candidate.

Thanks so far for untangling that web!!!

(And yes, this is another branch that leads to the Lightfoots, as I got stuck at Jenny Crutchley's father, but maybe I got a bit unstuck now?)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 August 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
There's a Henry and Mary Crutchley who baptise a son Robert in 1724 in Sharnbrook. I'm pretty sure they're related to my Henry but how, that is the question...