Author Topic: England in the time of Richard III - free course  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: England in the time of Richard III - free course
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks groom for posting this link, even though it was a while ago, I've just signed up for the course in January.

I'm looking forward to learning more about one of our contravershall  characters and the Wars of the Roses.

Read many fictional books, so it will be nice to learn the truth.... as far as one can!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 09:38 GMT (UK) »
I do hope you enjoy it, I’ve done it twice now.

Remember though it is England in the time of Richard III, so deals with life how it would be then, not just royalty. I found it very interesting and it gives a good insight into life at the time.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I do hope you enjoy it, I’ve done it twice now.  Remember though it is England in the time of Richard III, so deals with life how it would be then, not just royalty. I found it very interesting and it gives a good insight into life at the time.

Thanks Groom. I'm sure I will find it enjoyable as I am fascinated by the impact that political manoeuvres had on the "common" people. 

Though I am also hoping for hard evidence being shown which might help to illustrate Richard's personality.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 09:52 GMT (UK) »
I do hope you enjoy it, I’ve done it twice now.

Remember though it is England in the time of Richard III, so deals with life how it would be then, not just royalty. I found it very interesting and it gives a good insight into life at the time.
I'm looking forward to all aspects of the course.. learning more about 'us commoners' is always helpful for FH... if you can get back that far of course!

I've done FL courses before and found them very enjoyable.. particularly the interaction with other course participants.

Thanks
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 11:35 GMT (UK) »
They are certainly good aren't they, especially as they are free unless you choose to pay to upgrade. I've done about 8 now and enjoyed them all.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
It's good that they're repeating the Richard III course. It was interesting and instructive and I can recommend it to anyone with an interest in history.

Unfortunately I've been unable to find anything  with which to follow it.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Have you done the Hadrian's Wall one, Keith, that was the first one I did and I enjoyed that. Another one I enjoyed was "A History of Royal Food and Feasting"

I've also done two WW1 courses the best was : "World War 1:Trauma and Memory" which really opened my eyes.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »
No, I hadn't noticed the Hadrian's Wall course. I'll go looking for it. I doubt I would get on well with the food course. The only part of Richard III I didn't enjoy was part 5, food of the time. I guess I'm not a gourmet.