Author Topic: England in the time of Richard III - free course  (Read 2371 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
England in the time of Richard III - free course
« on: Wednesday 23 August 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
This free FutureLearn course "England in the Time of Richard III" starts next week. I first did it just before he was reinterred so thought I'd refresh my memory and see what they've added. I found it fascinating the first time round. Probably one of the best courses I've done.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/england-of-richard-third?lr=0
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: England in the time of Richard III - free course
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom

I've done that one amongst a whole host of historical courses and enjoyed it immensely.  Also enjoyed the Royal Food and Feasting course, especially the cooking and eating and the Agincourt one.  Quite enjoyed the Empire course except for the discussions which got a bit heated and a bit nasty.  People continually telling me as an English person I should apologise for slavery.  Sorry I don't agree, I wasn't there, and come to that, whilst my ancestors weren't slaves, english ag labs didn't have much more freedom, money or better lives.

In September I am going to do one about Bonnie Prince Charles and the Jacobites which sounded interesting.

Kerry  :)

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
I've done the Agincourt one and Food and Feasting as well, and agree that they are both very good. I also enjoyed the Hadrian's Wall one, which was the first one I did.

Last time I did Richard III some of the discussion got a bit heated as well, with a group of people who insisted that Shakespeare's version of Richard was the only correct one. They wouldn't have it that he was writing long after the events, so not writing from first hand experience and that he was writing for a Tudor monarch. Good fun though!

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
  • 2016 Panto - Upgraded to Yorkshire Yokel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
I've signed up for this one, thanks for the link :)
General:
Scotland - Henderson, Rutherford, Tofts, Green, Philp/Philip, Cook
England/Wales - Helps, Jones, Wright, Petheram (Axbridge and surrounding areas, Somerset)
Canada: Rutherford, Green
New Zealand: Rutherford

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Groom. 
Looks fascinating. I registered interest. The 7 topics listed are exciting. 
Would you describe the format of how the course is led and what is expected each week please?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
You work very much at your own speed and can do as much as you want each week. The week is usually divided up into sections and after each section there is a chance to join in the online discussion with other course participants, but it is entirely up to you whether or not you do this.

The course contains a mixture of pieces to read, a tutor talking or a video and there are often links to other sources if you want to follow things up. I think there are also quizzes after some of the sections, but you get lots of chances to get the right answer.

There is no pressure at all, and if you decide you want to miss out sections or even give up completely no one chases you up.

You can chose to follow people on there, so that when they comment you can see what they put - it's quite a good idea to follow the tutors. I know that when a lot of Rootschatters did the genealogy course a year or so ago, we made ourselves known and followed each other.

Hope you enjoy it.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Groom.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Groom.

This is exactly the kind of thing I enjoy so I've signed up straight away.

Keith

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 November 17 13:19 GMT (UK) »
The recent Richard lll course didn't fit very well for timing, so instead I have been doing the History of Royal Food and Feasting course.  I think if I was paying for it I might be a bit disappointed, but for free I have no complaints.

This morning I have been notified that the next Richard lll starts on Jan 8th and I must say I feel quite excited.

I am grateful to Groom for the tip off. :D