Author Topic: Hyperlinks  (Read 2490 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hyperlinks
« on: Wednesday 23 August 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hope I can explain this properly!    ::)

I'm on Windows 10 and using IE.

If say, I'm sending an email to someone (using my trusty gmail account), and I want to include a link to a website, I go to that website, right click on the string-thingy top left, go back to my email message and paste the link.  That's OK, except it doesn't come up as a hyperlink, although I'm sure it used to - I have to select the text and click on the little chain icon before it becomes a hyperlink now.

It's a bit of a pain, so am wondering if anyone can help work out how to get it to paste as a hyperlink without me having to re-format it all the time?

I also have another similar problem with hyperlinks not staying as hyperlinks elsewhere, but maybe if we can solve the one I've detailed, it will automatically solve the other one too, so I won't burden you with the details yet - unless you insist, of course.  ;)

Thanks in advance
STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperlinks
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 18:15 BST (UK) »
After you have pasted the hyperlink, just add a space after it & it sets it as a link.

Michael.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
After you have pasted the hyperlink, just add a space after it & it sets it as a link.

Michael.

It won't let me add a space.  It won't let me add anything until I've done the select/chain-link thingy :(

STG

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
When I paste (using control/v) the cursor ends up at the end of the pasted string & I then just press the spacebar & continue typing the rest of the message.

I've never seen/had to edit the link the way you describe, so sorry but I don't know what to else to suggest.

Michael.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 18:50 BST (UK) »
I've re-checked my method in both Win7/Outlook in Office 2010 using my BT Internet account, & Win 10/Ms Outlook in Internet Explorer using Hotmail and the hyperlink pastes as I've said, so your problem may be down to how your gmail account handles hyperlinks.

Have you approached them for any suggestions?

Michael.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
As a work around, in Gmail you can click the chain link first, then paste in the hyperlink, which avoids having to select it; or better still the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-k brings up the 'edit link' box

:)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 19:35 BST (UK) »
As a work around, in Gmail you can click the chain link first, then paste in the hyperlink, which avoids having to select it; or better still the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-k brings up the 'edit link' box

:)

Thanks, that kinda works

My other problem is that I'm doing some work on an online database and need to cut hyperlinks (from elsewhere)  and paste them into the database.  The paste bit works, but they don't appear as hyperlinks and there's no chain-link icon anywhere to click to convert them back into hyperlinks.  When I view the record (as if a member of the public) I just get a line of text (e.g. https://*www.* bbc.* co. uk/ *) but it's not a hyperlink.  Think I need to talk to the database peeps, don't I?

STG

* I've had to put spurious spaces into this to stop it from looking like a hyperlink here, but obviously don't do that when I am trying to get it to work ;)

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
I also find Gmail doesn't create the hyperlink when I write the email

However, upon sending the email (to myself), when it arrives the hyperlink has been created.

I didn't realise that's what happened, so you've also saved me from creating the links as I write.

With regards to the online database, it depends what formats the database can store information in, that is, can it only store plain text.  If you can create a working hyperlink in the database, then there is hope you may be able to paste-special straight into the database.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
I also find Gmail doesn't create the hyperlink when I write the email

However, upon sending the email (to myself), when it arrives the hyperlink has been created.

I didn't realise that's what happened, so you've also saved me from creating the links as I write.

How do you manage to get past the [non]-hyperlink when you compose an email please?

I doesn't matter if I type the link myself (say to the BBC website) or if I've cut and pasted it, after the .co.uk bit there is no blinking cursor, so I can't move on until I've made the relevant bit of the text into a hyperlink.  V.frustrating!