Author Topic: How would you feel about touching a long dead ancestor...  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How would you feel about touching a long dead ancestor...
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 September 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
Must be the way it's written, the Arm was part of the Fighting Irishmen Exhibition run by the Irish Arts Centre, New York, I assume there was a charge to see the exhibition but according to the website the Arm was on loan so it doesn't look like the family were paid.

http://www.irishartscenter.org/
http://www.fightingirishmen.com/

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 September 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
I'm not happy about the way bones are dug up and handled by archaeologists, etc., in the name of history or scientific research.  How about a bit of respect for those who have gone before and been "laid to rest".
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 September 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
Slightly off topic, but did you read that when Salvador Dali's body was exhumed recently to settle a paternity claim his famous moustache was still in place "at 10 past 10".  He died in 1989, but the claim doesn't seem to have been settled yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/jul/20/salvador-dali-remains-exhumed-paternity-case

The results are in:-
DNA evidence taken from the recently exhumed body of Salvador Dalí has shown that he is not the father of the claimant Pilar Abel, a 61-year-old tarot card reader and fortune teller from Girona
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 September 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
I guess she didn't read the cards very well or foretell her own fortune correctly. ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 September 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
I think I can safely say I wouldn't feel the need to touch or hold somebody's long dead arm! I might go and see it though.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 September 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
I am not squeamish enough to not touch a dead ancestor's bones of his hand. I would not mind, it is only a skeleton and it is not like he is going to jump out and attack you  ;D ;D. In Thailand I have seen skeletons on display at war museums. You cannot touch but I had no qualms about seeing the skeleton and I could have easily touched it if allowed.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 11 September 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Not quite the same but when going through my late mother's things I found a treen (little wooden) box; inside was a note stating that the box had belonged to my great grandmother (1875-1946) and came with her to her new home when she married.
Also enclosed was four locks of hair, each tied with a ribbon and a note;
one gave the name of my great grand mother and her DoB & DoD;
one the name of her daughter my grandmother and her and her DoB & DoD;
one the name of my mother and her DoB & DoD;
all were of a dark brown and obviously cut when they were young as all were grey in old age.

Logically you would expect the last lock of hair to be mine, the next generation
but not it was of my daughter!!

Needless to say I now wonder why I wasn't included and also how she got my daughter's hair!
Next trip to the hairdresser I asked that she cut a decent lock from somewhere for me to add and make a fifth generation in the box!

There are several people will not go near the box!

I've walked "the Steps to Strength and Fame"in Donnelly's Hollow in the Curragh
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 October 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
Not quite the same but when going through my late mother's things I found a treen (little wooden) box; inside was a note stating that the box had belonged to my great grandmother (1875-1946) and came with her to her new home when she married.
Also enclosed was four locks of hair, each tied with a ribbon and a note;
one gave the name of my great grand mother and her DoB & DoD;
one the name of her daughter my grandmother and her and her DoB & DoD;
one the name of my mother and her DoB & DoD;
all were of a dark brown and obviously cut when they were young as all were grey in old age.

Logically you would expect the last lock of hair to be mine, the next generation
but not it was of my daughter!!

Needless to say I now wonder why I wasn't included and also how she got my daughter's hair!
Next trip to the hairdresser I asked that she cut a decent lock from somewhere for me to add and make a fifth generation in the box!

There are several people will not go near the box!

I've walked "the Steps to Strength and Fame"in Donnelly's Hollow in the Curragh
Hi,
What a wonderful heirloom!!
I wonder if it was after their first hair cuts(?).
In my old baby album, my mother kept a lock of my hair, I have done the same with my son (although not in a album, it's in a baby box)
 I wouldn't feel too upset about your hair not being there, my logic tells me that maybe yours was in there, but fell out of the box sometime, or misplaced before even getting in the box.

Kind Regards :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 October 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cell!!
I probably never sat still for long enough!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder