Author Topic: Crown Street  (Read 2490 times)

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crown Street
« on: Wednesday 23 August 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
I am having one more attempt to find a man called Alexander Robertson. He was living at 21 Crown Street, Glasgow in 1918. I found a man called Alexander Robertson on the valuation rolls and it stated that he was a craneman. I know he was a quay labourer so perhaps that involved using a crane. If anyone has family called Robertson that lived in Crown st or records of dock labourers, i would love to hear from you. 

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crown Street
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
When and where was he born?

Who were his parents?

Who did he marry?

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 17 06:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Sancti
This is my delema. I only have him as the father of of child called Daniel in 1918 on his birth certificate. Unfortunately the child died a few months later. The mothers name was Sarah Ann Donnelly (maiden name Kivlochan) and the  address given was 21 Crown Street. I have researched Sarah Ann but she did not marry him, probably had another child by him and died in 1926. I have spent years looking for Alexander but with no birth date, no birth place, only Alexander Robertson, quay labourer, 21, Crown Street, fathered a child in 1918 to go on.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 August 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
   Alexander Robertson, a Craneman, is at 234 Crown St, Gorbals on the Valuation Rolls for 1915, 1920 and 1925.       I don't see him there in 1930.

On the Glasgow Electoral Registers, at 234 Crown Street, Gorbals in 1919, there is...
Alexander Robertson
Mrs Margaret Robertson
Robert Robertson
Robert Robertson
Thomas Robertson.

There is no way of knowing how they are related to one another.      Margaret Robertson may, or may not be his wife.      But if she is Alexander would have to be reasonably old by this time, because if the others are his children they would have to be over 18 (or is it 21) to get their names on the Electoral Register like this.

Perhaps the child Daniel was born at 21 Crown St because it was the home of a midwife, who could deliver babies.       My G/grandmother and also my grandmother did this.      The G/grandmother was fully qualified but not my Grandmother.      She was competent enough to help a few friends out though.     Just guessing....

The name Alexander Robertson is difficult to work with.     Hundreds of them come up when you try searches.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 September 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm.

Could the errant father of Daniel be a son of the Alexander Robertson who was head of the household in 1919?

Go for Thomas, because Thomas is the least common of the given names listed in the register of electors. If he was old enough to vote in 1919, he must have been at least 21, therefore he should be in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses.

There are 15 Thomas Robertsons aged 10 or more in the 1911 census in Glasgow with a Robert on the same page of the census. Look them up on the SP index and make a note of their ages, the name of the district and the reference number. Then run the same search but with Margaret instead of Robert, and see if there are any that match. Then do it again using Alexander instead of Robert and see if any of them match. If they do, take a look at the census record.

This is, of course, making certain assumptions, in particular assuming that this family was in Glasgow in 1911, and that Margaret is not a second wife of Alexander. It may not work, but it's worth a try.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 September 17 10:44 BST (UK) »
A craneman is a labourer, pronounced cranman in Glasgow, I was one once!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 September 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Sancti
This is my delema. I only have him as the father of of child called Daniel in 1918 on his birth certificate. Unfortunately the child died a few months later. The mothers name was Sarah Ann Donnelly (maiden name Kivlochan) and the  address given was 21 Crown Street. I have researched Sarah Ann but she did not marry him, probably had another child by him and died in 1926. I have spent years looking for Alexander but with no birth date, no birth place, only Alexander Robertson, quay labourer, 21, Crown Street, fathered a child in 1918 to go on.

What address did the baby die at?

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 September 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Sancti,
Unfortunately the baby, Daniel, died in hospital at the age of 6 weeks, Dennistoun.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 September 17 11:00 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the baby, Daniel, died in hospital at the age of 6 weeks, Dennistoun.
Glasgow Royal Infirmary is/was in Dennistoun registra\tion district.

A death certificate of someone who dies in hospital normally gives their usual residence, but it is more likely to have been the mother's rather than the father's address if they did not live together.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.