Author Topic: MURISON, Mary Ann Thom(son) b 1901  (Read 720 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
MURISON, Mary Ann Thom(son) b 1901
« on: Thursday 24 August 17 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.  I'm hoping to get some help with the fate of a relative.

Mary Ann Thom Murison was born in Cluny Parish, Abeerdeenshire, Scotland. 

Mary's mother was Jane Murison also known as Jane Williamson (after her step-father) who later married Arthur McAllan.

Mary (middle name recorded as Thomson) and her grandmother Isabel(la) (Murison) Williamson traveled to the US in September 1929 aboard the ship California.

On the 1930 US census there is a Mary A Murison age 27 born Scotland living in Lynchburg, Virginia as a Children's Nurse for the Watt family on Virginia Episcopal School Road. The 1931 city directory shows Mary Murison  living on the same road.

Mary's uncle, Isabel(la)'s son, George Smith had moved to Lynchburg from Scotland with his wife Mary earlier in the 1920s.

Any assistance with Mary Murison's fate after 1931 greatly appreciated.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MURISON, Mary Ann Thom(son) b 1901
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 August 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
The second page of the passenger list says that Isabelle and Mary were going to join George Smith in Lynchburg.

This appears to be Isabelle's burial - https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=104668065&ref=acom  There is a death record for her that has her father's name as Murison.  Isabelle is listed on the obituary index here - http://www.jmlibrary.org/obituaries/  Maybe Mary is mentioned in the obituary?

I don't think there is anything online that comprehensively covers Virginia marriages between 1931 and 1936, so Mary may have married in that time frame.  If you can get an exact date of birth for Mary, that may help lead to an entry on the Social Security Death Index, if she lived long enough.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 17 13:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

The second page of the passenger list says that Isabelle and Mary were going to join George Smith in Lynchburg.

Thanks - I hadn't seen the second page.

This appears to be Isabelle's burial - https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=104668065&ref=acom

Clearly not the one in Aberdeen in 1932, then.

There is a death record for her that has her father's name as Murison. 

That's correct, her parents were Alexander Murison and Mary Anderson.  She never married the father of her son George Smith (and possibly her other two children) who was also called George Smith, so the inclusion of Smith in her name is an error or a conceit by her son.

Isabelle is listed on the obituary index here - http://www.jmlibrary.org/obituaries/  Maybe Mary is mentioned in the obituary?

I'll pass that on to George's granddaughter in NC.  It might be easier for her to grab that.

I don't think there is anything online that comprehensively covers Virginia marriages between 1931 and 1936, so Mary may have married in that time frame.  If you can get an exact date of birth for Mary, that may help lead to an entry on the Social Security Death Index, if she lived long enough.

I see I have 14 December 1901 as her birth date.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 August 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
I've had a look for Mary Ann in the Social Security Death index without success but will continue the search.

The information you have given me has been incredibly helpful, thank you, especially the heads up about page 2 of the shipping record. 

The contact at the point of origin was listed as Mrs Mary Stewart, daughter of Isabel(la) and aunt of Mary Ann.  This was a previously unknown child of Isabel(la) and I've now located the birth of Mary Smith Murison, her marriage to John A Stewart and their entry on the 1901 census.